bike having trouble up 20 degree incline

20 degree incline???? are you sure, that's pretty steep and no single speed engine will be able to make this climb. You'd need a 60 tooth, not a 42 tooth sprocket to make this climb with out stalling or pedalling.

A shift kit, 36 tooth mega gear sixth gear, a smaller drive sprocket on the shifter kit and a tuned pipe will help. Ask me how I know? I live in Colorado and climb some steep hills with my HT engine and at high altitudes.

A screech sound could be a blown head gasket, bad bearing, or dry gears.
It is sounding more and more like you have a bad float needle or needle seat.
The needle can be replaced by itself, the seat cannot. The seat can however be lapped using an appropriate sized steel center punch and fine lapping compound. Clean the living daylights out of the carb if you use lapping compound. Any leftover residue can be very bad for the engine.
That's all fine and dandy if you happen to have that stuff available. The only other fix I know of it to replace the carb.

Get a Honda, you can run them upside down if you want.
Try dropping the needle valve and clean the seat with a cotton bud.
Blow through the main jet and the pilot jet, don't stick anything in them.

Last edited:
i started this with the soul intention of reproducing a 1935 Triumph TS 100 and have done everything i could to preserve THAT specific look I LOVE honda motors. If there is a honda that doesnt look like a plastic box with a parachute ripcod attached, ill definately buy one.

I was in contact with Rocksolid Motors with the intent of impoting one of theirs from Australia to NY...but they simply stopped answering my emails.
Im willing to buy an upgrade, but nobody has stepped up to the plate despite my reaching out to a few
I have been builing this thing for two months and have not been able to RIDE IT yet
I cant wait ANOTHER month to track down a reputable vendor sooooo... In the meantime i can only fix what ive got....how?

http://ridevintage.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/ts1480.jpg?w=470

Attachments

• my triumph.jpg
    my triumph.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 133
What is the fix for a blown head gasket?
Tighten cylinder head nuts first. That may seal it up. 50inlb for 6mm studs, 150inlb for 8mm studs. Determine your stud size first. If it still leaks you will have to replace the gasket.
A bad bearing?
Identify the bearing first, disassemble related portion of engine, replace bearing, re-assemble engine.
And/or dry gears?
Remove gear case cover and put a peanut sized blob of quality grease right where the 2 gears meet each other. Reinstall gear case cover.
Thanks

If there is a honda that doesnt look like a plastic box with a parachute ripcod attached, ill definately buy one.

Have a look at what the RC mob are doing with this motor. They look quite good naked. [The motors, not the RC mob]

Thanks Gearnut !I 'm going to try lapping the seat tomorrow. How do I know what the appropriate sized punch is? Do I match the hole, or the whole. Conical seat

Garp,If there was a pic attached, it didn't come through

Back