Bike Racks and Baskets, LOL...

KCvale

In memory of KCvale 1959 - 2019
Local time
2:25 AM
I found this humorous and thought I'd share ;-}

I have new customer build in the bay, and he wants me to put this front rack on for him.
https://www.blackburndesign.com/racks/front-racks/local-basket-rack-1.html

So I get the box of parts and kind of my scratch my head...
The little folded up paper in the box had rear install institutions but nothing for a front install.
So I went to BlackBurns site and they provided a pic of how it should look front mounted...

blackburn-basket-front-or-rear-rack-front-mount.jpg

The holes for the axle mount are too small and there is no mount at the top but what the heck, 'close enough' for an Instruction Manual pic right? hehehe.

I will get it mounted securely on this telescoping disc brake front fork of the bike in the bay, but that example was just to funny to pass up ;-}

Note I changed camera's today and haven't set the date stuff yet...
I will get it mounted securely on this telescoping disc brake front fork of the bike in the bay, but that example was just to funny to pass up ;-}
So I made a top mount that would fit around the head set with some bending and a
couple U bolts..

BasketBlunder1.jpg

Looking through the laughable instructions for the parts I got, I mounted the bottom of the basket solid to the front fork...

Heck, from there it was just mounting the bottom to the fork.

BasketBlunder2.jpg

I sat here in my chair looking at it from the same angle as the pic, all impressed with myself I got that rack to mount secure, and then it dawned on me...
I mounted to the moving part of the fork!

BasketBlunder3.jpg

Just using a different parts and mounting higher, here it is with one side done, but I just had to laugh at myself for that one ;-}

It's all done and tidy now, I'll post a pic when I do the 'Done' pics, but I really did get a good laugh at myself today and wanted to share it ;-}

Last edited:
nice solution
Ya, that racks not going anywhere.

basketblunder4.jpg

I checked the shock travel, the two clamps start right where travel stops ;-}

Now for his back rack and Buddy Pegs, which will work on this SA internal 5-speed because the shifting mech is inside the chain stays, not out the end of the axle like a Shimano.

He wants a regular back rack that will take 2 attachments...
A padded seat for a light passenger (hence the buddy pegs), and a Platform his dog can ride on ;-}

Awesome bike and nice rack (have I used THAT line before?),
but ya gotta get a better camera KC.
My beloved Cannon PowerShot A1100IS sadly has finally died, it held on taking only stills for awhile, but it has finaly passed away.

I found some <$30 Jazz camera sitting here in some random box that would take my memory card, but you are right Steve, I need a better real camera again as this thing is really poor quality, and I don't want to be taking pics of high quality builds with a low quality camera ;-}

Last summer I lost my Pentax X70 to whale splash!
Ahr! W're healin' to in a mighty n'oreastener, when a great grey beast come along side.
Whether it was the beast or a rogue wave, the cabin got swamped. My camera was victim.
13707766_10154203765190803_1801578297387835127_n.jpg

Capt'n Richard at the helm. Some adventures are worth losing a camera for.

Keep posting pictures KC, we wanta see'em!

I found this humorous and thought I'd share ;-}

I have new customer build in the bay, and he wants me to put this front rack on for him.
https://www.blackburndesign.com/racks/front-racks/local-basket-rack-1.html

So I get the box of parts and kind of my scratch my head...
The little folded up paper in the box had rear install institutions but nothing for a front install.
So I went to BlackBurns site and they provided a pic of how it should look front mounted...

blackburn-basket-front-or-rear-rack-front-mount.jpg

The holes for the axle mount are too small and there is no mount at the top but what the heck, 'close enough' for an Instruction Manual pic right? hehehe.

Yeah, those institutions can be a real b**ch, lol. Just ribbing ya KC.
Do you like the Felt Bicycles for builds? I was thinking about one of those but they are kinda pricey.

Yeah, those institutions can be a real b**ch, lol. Just ribbing ya KC.
Do you like the Felt Bicycles for builds? I was thinking about one of those but they are kinda pricey.
Felts are known for quality but I only built on one way back when I was first starting, it was the Luxury example build.

KCbike10-2011.jpg

I am liking the GasTank Frame and using a Fito to flesh it out with parts these days.

Back