Exhaust Bottom of exhaust pipe has oil on it

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by rjriggs, Sep 1, 2015.

1. rjriggs

rjriggs Member

I have several issues with my first build. I'll post about them separately to keep the topics separate. This one is about my oily exhaust pipe.

The bottom part of my exhaust pipe, the part nearest the ground, has oil on it after every ride. Not much, just a thin layer. Is this normal, or is there something that needs to be corrected?

2. Auron

Auron New Member

yup on a 2 stroke thats perfectly normal, thats just oil in the gasoline that hasn't been burnt off

3. 45u

45u Active Member

You do not want all your oil to burn as you want some to lubricate. If all the oil burnt your motor would not last long. Yes this is normal on a 2 cycle.

4. Hello Moto!

Hello Moto! Active Member

What oil/fuel ratio are you using? Just curious...

5. 45u

45u Active Member

No matter the oil ration you will always have some oil coming out the of the exhaust. My marks its spot every time I park it.

Frankfort MB's likes this.
  6. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

Mine does that too except it's where mines leaking fuel lol

7. 45u

45u Active Member

Mine does not leak fuel only left over oil then it is only a few drops.

8. Hello Moto!

I run 40:1 and I get residue around the muffler end but I don't get any dripping goin on.

9. 45u

45u Active Member

I run 25 or 36 to 1. I sure hope you took the motor apart and cleaned it out well if you are going to break it in on 40 to 1. I think why most recommend to run it so rich with oil is they put these motors together in a sand box. Both my eBay motor and my Grubee had WAY TOO much trash in them. You could even see the shiny metal shavings along with a bunch of grit.

10. Hello Moto!

Nope. Filled er up and took off. What you said is probably true but I aint got time for that :D I'll probably pay for it later on.

11. 45u

45u Active Member

Inside of my Grubee and this was just a small part of what was in it. All this wiped out and was very gritty. But some do not have a clue as they thing it is break in oil. I do not want grit going throw my motor.

[​IMG]

12. Frankfort MB's

It will come out.... Eventually ;)
    My skyhawk didn't have any grit or dirt in it

13. 45u

45u Active Member

So you took it ALL apart and checked it? Both my eBay motor and Grubee had way too much in it. I will never run one of these motors without taking it apart.

14. Frankfort MB's

Took the top half off didn't see barley anything except a new engine