Building my own gas tank

I love it! But that motor looks horribly too small for the frame. Same problem happened to me with my next bike.

Also, I hope that the weight of the bike doesn't affect the engine too much, it would be sad to hear you get that all built and try to ride it only to find it tops out at 15 MPH.

If the engine was mounted 2 inches higher, it would probably appear to fill the space a bit more.

just my $0.02

I definitely like the 2-26" treatment, just not the MTB tires (I know, temporary).

Very nice, different from most "customs".

BTW-weight won't really affect top speed, just how long it takes to get there.

Can't say enough! Looks fantastic. By sticking with the 2" that should help with chain clearance I suppose.
Nice job on the pipe also. Just a thought, but have you thought about bondoing the tank to the frame for the smooth look?
Tank looks awesome like it is though.
Doc

Tank and bike

Nice work Dan! I do alot of work myself and can tell you from one builder to another that you'd be welcome in my shop anyday. I would never "bondo in" the tank, as if it needs repair it needs to be removeable. I used 1" black-Iron gas pipe for my filler necks, and then had a machinist turn down solid brass !" pipe caps to use on them. I fill at gas stations and could not live with lil puny filler like on the Chinese long tank. Keep doing what you are doing. Mike

Thanks guys!

Jake,

In my shop and not sure of the $$$ yet.

JosephGarcia,

I agree on the size of the engine but as you can see it would have been impossible to mount it any higher because it woul have hit the tube that's under the tank. I actually had to put on a 48t front sprocket so the chain would clear the engine case.

Dockspa1,

The tires aren't the clearance issue, it's the mounting of the tensioner that is way off. Also, since the engine is mounted much lower the chainline is in a sense "raised". That causes the chain to hit the case where it comes back onto the countershaft sprocket. I think a slight grinding mod will alleviate that issue. As for the bondo...yeah I thought of it, then I thought about the cracking issues from all the vibration. That's the reason I rubber mounted the tank.

MotorbikeMike,

Thanks! This is just the first of possibly many more full custom scooters and I would love to see your shop someday. If you're ever in Oregon, my shop door is ALWAYS open.

srdavo,

hmmmm....if you showed up on my doorstep I might let you cruise it :D

I have the colors picked out and as soon as I give a test run, I am tearing it all down for the painting. This is driving me crazy having to wait for little things like tank sealer etc... I am used to just going to the parts shelf, grabbing what I need and throwing it on. Motorized bikes are a little more complex than the bicycles I am used to.

Dan

Back