Building my own gas tank

Yeah, Iride, I can see your point about vibration and the cracking of the bondo. Are you going to pressure test it? If not make sure you have a good vent. Very nice job, looks fantastic.
Doc

tank testing

I have tested my tanks with compressed air and soapy water or windex, but if you really want to know if it leaks, put some rubbing alcohol in it, and check all the seams. The alcohol is thin like gas but can be dried out to leave no residue so that you can weld or solder the leaks, remember tho if you use lead or brass, you cannot go back to steel welding easily so be sure of your steps, Mike

Thanks spunout!

I am going to use the alcohol method then fix any leaks with welding first then whatever else should get sealed up with Kreem tank sealer.

Dan

Just an update...

Got my Kreem tank prep and sealer today. Started the acid etching process and it should be sealed and done tomorrow...WOO HOO!!!
I also picked up my 2 Felt Slick Brick 26 X 2.215'' tires.

It's all torn apart right now and waiting for me to start prepping it for paint. It's so close I can taste it now! I still have to come up with a decent paint scheme.

The only bad issue will be the part where the chain rubs on the countershaft sprocket cover. I ground most of it away and it just all but clears. I know it will rub a little but I don't think it will be a huge issue. If it's really bad, I'll have to install a roller guide on the seat post <---I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Dan

Looking good Dan.I'm a painter at a metal fab shop and do alot of automotive painting.Let me know if you want to paint you're bike in a paint booth.I have access to the one at work to do my personal stuff.

Thanks JE! My iRide Customs partner, Richard works at Freebird Autobody and Paint on Hyway 34 near Corvallis. When I really want one of my bikes spanked up, he is the one I hand it off to. Thanks for the offer though!! I would love to make it up to Woodburn to check out your shop someday.

My next motored bike might get that treatment.

Dan

Here's a quick update on my bike. I need to get a 36t sprocket either from Spooky Tooth, if I can manage to get registered on his site, or from Bicycledesigner.com I would save about $20.00 going with the latter. I also am in need of a front sprocket for my cranks. I am looking for a black 110mm 48t five bolt pattern chainring and not having much luck so far. I haven't tried my local bike shop but I am sure I would be able to get one there. I would also like to paint the handlebars black and make a set of wheels that have rear disc brake and black rims.

I do have one quick question for the techies out there...(sorry for getting off topic Augie)

Do you HAVE to have the kill switch wired into the blue wire to get a ground with the green wire?? Can the engine run without any of the kill switch wires connected??

Better, detailed pictures will be posted in a new thread as soon as I get the drive train completed.

1194_HPIM0452_1.jpg

beautiful!!! can't wait for an official picture gallery, dan 8)

you can run with only the cdi/magneto connections & no kill switch:

blue-to-green
black-to-black
cap-off white

not sure what you have in mind, so...i don't recommend using the clutch as a kill-switch, tho, rather choke the engine dead...that works fine for me.

Whats wrong with the killswitch? I can understand you not wanting to use the stock switch. but a simple 3 dollar radioshack fix is reliable and keeps you from flooding your engine when stopping it with the choke.

Back