Built for comfort, speed, and distance

This bike was bought specifically to be motorized.

. It was decided that a Recumbent would be best. BUT in spite of it's high level of comfort, they have a few too many shortcomings (like motor right behind head; loss of speed / momentum on corners; heaviest of weights on small motors = early rebuilds and slow slow slow acceleration).

. It was also decided that standard street & city bikes are designed too upright for long periods of riding time. They are designed like this specifically because they have to be completely pedal-worthy. Hey, don't get me wrong, if you're pedaling they are a great way to go.

. Lastly it was decided that dual suspension mtn bikes, while they do add comfort, they are primarily more comfortable over your city bike ONLY during bumps and the like. And one is still stuck sitting in a "pedal-worthy" riding position with too much weight on hands and wrists. Basically the extra money suspension costs could be spend on a better designed frame.

So, enter the Electra Townie. Can you see how comfortable this bike is to sit on, and ride all over town just for the fun of it? It has over 700 motorized miles on it so far, and will continue to get used throughout the winter months.

We have more pics, and a video clip too.

Attachments

• DSCN2800.jpg
    DSCN2800.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 823
  • DSCN2810.jpg
    DSCN2810.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 1,004
Last edited by a moderator:
Well now:
My brother and i measured the forward travel for one pedal revolution and found 68" of travel.

This is not what i was expecting (i guess i was crunch gear inches, per Shelton Brown)

But what i wanted to know was forward movement for a given pedal cadence.

Errr. Trying to collect my thoughts and state what i should have learned in all this.... Not much evidently.

Great Bike

The Townie is a very nicely made bicycle and supremely comfy. I agree with what you say about comfort but I find my frame-mounted Hoda GXH50 in a Schwinn D7 cruiser is also supremely comfy with the saddle on a suspension post and as low as it can go plus the handlebars as high as they can go and those Schwinn quill stems will go pretty high. I've built several now and for comfort it helps noticeably if the engine is set back as far as possible because it make the front end light and responsive . Your Townie looks like it would be a lovely ride with the weight at the rear and the front end light. Is it chain drive cos I can't see the chain although I see the gearbox? I also love the feel of the Schwinn typhoon balloon tyres for ride comfort. I wish they sold those Townie saddles separately because whoever designed it has looked closely at my bottom!

The Townie is a very nicely made bicycle and supremely comfy. I agree with what you say about comfort but I find my frame-mounted Hoda GXH50 in a Schwinn D7 cruiser is also supremely comfy with the saddle on a suspension post and as low as it can go plus the handlebars as high as they can go and those Schwinn quill stems will go pretty high. I've built several now and for comfort it helps noticeably if the engine is set back as far as possible because it make the front end light and responsive . Your Townie looks like it would be a lovely ride with the weight at the rear and the front end light. Is it chain drive cos I can't see the chain although I see the gearbox? I also love the feel of the Schwinn typhoon balloon tyres for ride comfort. I wish they sold those Townie saddles separately because whoever designed it has looked closely at my bottom!

LOL - now that is phunny!!! Somebody's checking you out! I wish somebody was looking at me Hahaaa <grins

And your points make sense to me. And yeah, noting the front to back weight distribution issue too. Very important. Front-end light; Yes. Kicked-back comfort; Yes....... Though i'm not sure about placing it in the category of "responsive". Unless a tug-boat is responsive. ("dirt mtn" bikes are responsive enuf. "street mtn" bikes less so. and this frame design handles the slowest of any bike i have ridden) Just my two cents.

And the handle-bar height thingie too. Very important!

Nope, not chain-driven - direct drive (roller on rear tire)

PreMature tire failure ....

Wore through the rear tire in 1,300 miles.

My brother is thinking that as the direct drive roller was pressing hard on the tire 24/7 (overnight while in the garage, and while bike is not being used) contributed to the de-lamination of the rear tire treads to the core; causing pre-mature tire failure.

WhatUpWiffDat?

:giggle:

I'am the brother!

just having too much fun riding all the time, don't even take breaks to eat!

Back