California Motorized Bicycle Laws

California Motorized Bicycle Law

without the motor i could lift the bike with 2 fingers. its made by felt racing and is all aluminum. even withthe wide tires it was pretty light. with the motor and the upgtades its rather heavy. more like the 1939 hc higgins straightbar i had when i was teen. i hate that the number is on the underneath. now i need to figure out how to look at it. maybe ill take it to my buddies shop and have him put it on his lift. last time i tried to hust pop the front end up like i did before the motor was on it i hust about put myself in traction...lmao
Yeah I know whatcha mean about having a heavy bike, My Whizzer M/B weighs about 160 lbs

Use a mirror to look at the # on the bottom of your bike

Make sure ya don't write the # down backwards :LOL:
lol...getting up and down from the ground at my age is a feat in itself...lmao when i do it to work on my car i take a nap before trying to get off the ground just to contemplate the pain im going to endure...lmao

id ask the warden to help me but thats like trying to talk to your mom about cars...lol

Yeah I know whatcha mean about having a heavy bike, My Whizzer M/B weighs about 160 lbs
thats heavy..how do those whizzers ride? i know mines pretty heavy but it gives me a solid ride. its the closest thing ive been on that makes me feel like im flying...lol even when im riding in traffic and use hand signals to signal lane changes the lines they put in the roads dont worry me. at first i thought they would pull me but i think the extra weight helps steady it. especially when i turn my head to see whos next to me.

thats heavy..how do those whizzers ride? i know mines pretty heavy but it gives me a solid ride. its the closest thing ive been on that makes me feel like im flying...lol even when im riding in traffic and use hand signals to signal lane changes the lines they put in the roads dont worry me. at first i thought they would pull me but i think the extra weight helps steady it. especially when i turn my head to see whos next to me.
Whizzers were made to handle 138cc flathead 4 stroke
I can take my hands off the handle bars doing 50mph and she tracks perfect
She's street legal with 12v head light hi/low beam, tail/stop light, turn signals and a horn
Whizzer has a 85w stator to power the lights and make a spark

Attachments

• DSCF9332 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF9332 - Copy.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF3705.JPG
    DSCF3705.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF3708.JPG
    DSCF3708.JPG
    355.3 KB · Views: 126
DAMIEN1307 said:
My very first car was in my last year of high school when I was in Big Bear California, just before going off to college...It was a 64 ford falcon with drum brakes...lol.

i used to go up to running springs on a regular basis a few years back

Whizzers were made to handle 138cc flathead 4 stroke
I can take my hands off the handle bars doing 50mph and she tracks perfect
She's street legal with 12v head light hi/low beam, tail/stop light, turn signals and a horn
Whizzer has a 85w stator to power the lights and make a spark
no kidding...wow
well that explains the weight. but thats pretty impressive for a bicycle. that was made by the bicycle company wasnt it? back in the 50s?

no kidding...wow
well that explains the weight. but thats pretty impressive for a bicycle. that was made by the bicycle company wasnt it? back in the 50s?
Whizzer M/B kit's came out in 1939 in 1948-1952 factory production Whizzer were made, Schwinn made the frames
Whizzer parts were available until 1965

1999 - 2009 The next generation Whizzer was sold in the USA but Made in Taiwan. M/B engine kits were also offered

I have a 2005 NE-5 Whizzer It weighs 100 lbs from the factory
but after I put H/D wheels and accessories on she weighs around 160 lbs wet

I've never been one to spread misinformation or take what somebody says as gospel. I've always gone and done my due diligence and researched the facts on something that way when I say something on a subject I know what it is im saying. As for this, all I can relay is what i've done and experienced as well as relate what i've been told by those in charge of enforcing the laws.

But now just to make absolutely sure, i'm going to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles and speak to someone there regarding what the specific laws are and find out from them. That way I know for myself what is considered the laws i'm supposed to be abiding by. This is just for my peace of mind.

Over the years i've had my share of negative interactions with law enforcement and have never been one to shy away from expressing my views or standing my ground when it comes to my rights. as a matter of fact I wanted to register my bicycle with the local police department and they told me that they no longer issue them. now that blew my mind. I have always made sure to register for a license.

So I would like to know what they are so if ever a time happens where I need to know what i'm doing is wrong or right its best to know if i'm doing something wrong, by accident or on purpose. After all, my mom raised ugly boys not stupid ones...lol

But when I do find out what the person tells me at the DMV, I will make sure to post what i'm told here for those who want to know. if you noticed in my posting that I didnt try to interpret the laws as I read them, I went straight to law enforcement to find out how they interpret them, since they are the ones that are going to tell me if i'm doing something wrong. I've always found it beneficial to find out where they stand.

As i've always found, 10 people can read something and you are going to get 10 different versions of what they read because people will always interpret things thier own way. When it comes to law enforcement, they can interpret laws the way they want, but when it comes down to it, how they interpret them doesnt really matter. they can argue their point all they want, but when it comes down to it its law enforcements interpretation that is the only one that matters.

And when it comes to them saying someone has violated a law a person can stand there and argue their point all they want with them and usually the only thing you accomplish is pissing the cop off.
It's really not that big of a deal, I rode my bike for years without a license plate and never got stopped even once. I decided to get a license plate just to make it look more legal just in case a head strong cop is looking for someone to hassle, and it only cost me about $20 and there is no renewal fees. Also, I have found that other cars seem to give me more of the road when they see my license plate on my bike, they see me more as a motorcycle than a bicycle.

It's really not that big of a deal, I rode my bike for years without a license plate and never got stopped even once. I decided to get a license plate just to make it look more legal just in case a head strong cop is looking for someone to hassle, and it only cost me about $20 and there is no renewal fees. Also, I have found that other cars seem to give me more of the road when they see my license plate on my bike, they see me more as a motorcycle than a bicycle.
Yeah, it's not a big deal, I've been riding my Whizzer 16 years and got over 40K miles of riding all over CA.
I've never been asked but I got the plate just in case,
I never mounted my plate, I keep my license plate in my saddle bags. :LOL:
I like my Classic Whizzer Plate much better (y)

Attachments

• DSCF6256.JPG
    DSCF6256.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCF6258.JPG
    DSCF6258.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF6260.JPG
    DSCF6260.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 123
Yeah, it's not a big deal, I've been riding my Whizzer 16 years and got over 40K miles of riding all over CA.
I've never been asked but I got the plate just in case,
I never mounted my plate, I keep my license plate in my saddle bags. :LOL:
I like my Classic Whizzer Plate much better (y)
I agree, the Classic Whizzer plate looks way better!

Back