can't get first start!

HadesBike05

Local time
7:06 AM
Hello all!
I'm Hade and I have built my 1st mb over the course of a couple of days and with the help of very informed posters on this site.
Now I have everything mounted, and when I check the electricals there is a spark. But the bike wont start. It just makes the popping noises when I engage the clutch but it wont actually start. I have no clue what to do. I am not sure if fuel is getting to the motor, or maybe too much fuel. When I twist the throttle it doesnt really twist very much but I am not sure if thats normal.
If any one had any tips or ideas I would be very grateful.

Make your start attempts on a mild hill. Once you pop the clutch, you should feel the engine resistance and hear the engine breathing. Throttle position is important. These 2 strokes like a rich mixture to start and cool weather can make it harder. As you pedal through the engine resistance, use no throttle input at all and see what happens. Try a few times. if you get occasional popping (firing in the cylinder) keep pedalling and let the pops increase. As the pops increase, it's a sign that the engine wants to go. Try some gentle twists of the throttle and see how the motor reacts. If the popping gets better, keep pedalling through and working until you get continuation.

Maybe your engine needs choke. Choke the carb and then do the same thing. Listen to the engine as you pedal thru the resistance and apply throttle. If opening the throttle makes things worse, it's leaning things out too much. Pedal through with no throttle input and hopefully you will get some popping that will get heat into your engine and spur the process forward.

Last edited:
Ok il give it a shot. It has been unseasonably chilly lately. It pops when I let the clutch out but throttling does bog or stop the engine. So I'll try peddling through it with no throttle.

If popping occurs while you are pedaling with no throttle, and adding throttle bogs it down ( should make a sad kind of lower tone), most likely the engine doesn't want much air until there's warmth in the cylinder/carb. Be patient. Pedal with little or no throttle and let the popping build. This may elevate your heart rate! Eventually, you'll be able to go with WOT and the motor will get some power and advance.

When I twist the throttle it just stops entirely. Theres a decent incline near where I live Il give it a shot in the morning.

Well i vouldnt wait n tested the theory out n it did aound like it was rumbling a little bit more when I got my bike going fast but then my chain locked up lol. Gonna fix that now.

I suppose either might work but the usual practice is to remove the air filter on the carb and spray it in past the choke plate. You can run it without an air filter for a short time.

Update: I tried removing the filter cover but one of the little screws us really in there n it stripped so its staying put lol i rode up and down releasing the clutch and the engine pops almost like its running but it doesnt start up. There is extreme resistance if I try pedaling past when the engine stops popping. I can only seem to go as far as momentum allows. If there is momentum I pedal and it is easy but once the engine popping slows then stops I cant budge it. Well maybe I could but it seems unwise to exert that much force. On a couple other threads somepeople said that changing the spark plug or cdi got the buke running. When I check the electricals there is spark but maybe it's too weak. I am using the stock plug. Aftet I attempt to start the bike unburnt fuel comes out of the muffler and it is blackish in color. It still rerains the look of the original fluid (greenish) but all sooty. Could it be the engine is just too dirty? Would taking it apart n cleaning it with carb fluid help?

Back