Carby Carburetor - help with my grubee skyhawk 2 stroke 66cc

"We're not really halfway across the country, and i know i dont have the choke backwards, im not a total retard, im just a little retarded"

Ok man, I'm really not happy that you chose to write this.
As a parent of a special needs child, and a teacher of special needs kids, your quote tells me just what kind of person you are. Anyone who throws the "R" word around like that doesn't have a clue.
My special needs son passed away in august 2010 at the age of 11, so when I hear or see people throw the "R" word around, it really pees me off.
I also teach special needs kids at the highschool level, and I can tell you that I know a few of these kids who can not only tune a carb, but they can re-build engines.
My son could tear apart, fix and re-build just about anything mechanical, so when you say that you are "just a little retarded" you sound like a *******.

"We're not really halfway across the country, and i know i dont have the choke backwards, im not a total retard, im just a little retarded"

Ok man, I'm really not happy that you chose to write this.
As a parent of a special needs child, and a teacher of special needs kids, your quote tells me just what kind of person you are. Anyone who throws the "R" word around like that doesn't have a clue.
My special needs son passed away in august 2010 at the age of 11, so when I hear or see people throw the "R" word around, it really pees me off.
I also teach special needs kids at the highschool level, and I can tell you that I know a few of these kids who can not only tune a carb, but they can re-build engines.
My son could tear apart, fix and re-build just about anything mechanical, so when you say that you are "just a little retarded" you sound like a *******.
I'm sorry i didn't mean to offend anyone, Its just how i talk, i am really sorry to hear about your son, and sorry if i offended you.

We're not really halfway across the country, and i know i dont have the choke backwards, im not a total retard, im just a little retarded. and thanks for the link it helped a lot, now i realize what my problem is (i think it is the same problem you were having with your bike, Old Skool.

Dyran:

Yeah, I knew that you were in the "Crescent City" (or) "Nawlins", as some people like to pronounce it. Hey buddy, I never wished to imply that you lacked any mental capabilities. I was just trying to help - in fact, it was another person who made the original suggestion. I was simply following-up on his comment. It sure doesn't hurt to check EVERYTHING, because it is usually the little stuff that gets you.

If you were nearby, I could have run by your house and tried to help you. But, because you are stuck off down in Cajun country, it wasn't close for me. Therefore, "halfway was across the country" is applicable. My permit to cross the Sabine River has expired, so I'm stuck up here behind the pine curtain for the time being. (grin)

I'm glad that the link helped you. I guess I'm not smart enough to figure out how to post it in HTML on this forum, where it would become active (and underlined in blue).

I didn't want you to fixate on a problem that might not actually be the whole problem. That is the reason that I presented so many different potential issues, which could result in the same symptoms.

Like I said, you WILL figure it out and fix it. Of course, by then, you will find something else that needs adjusted, repaired, or modified. It really is an endless process!

The needle adjustment on the CNS carb was the thing that "turned everything around" for me. Of course, there were other issues, but one notch on the gas needle made a world of difference.

As I said before, keep up posted.

Old Skool

If i am going through all this trouble trying to get this carb to work properly, would it be easier for me to just buy a different style of carb, if so could you recommend which one i get

At one time, I considered pulling the CNS carb off and putting the more common NT carb on it. Which also means changing the intake manifold, etc. However, I was determined to not let that little piece pot metal kick my behind, so I stayed with it!

You will have to make that decision for yourself.

You might change carbs and still have similar problems and issues, and not accomplish anything - but spending your hard-earned money. A different carb might resolve all of your problems ... who knows? Let your conscience be your guide! That is a call that you need to make.

You will learn a lot more by rolling up your sleeves and diving into the problem. When finished ... it will be YOUR accomplishment.

They are all fairly inexpensive, and nearly everything on those Grubee engines does qualify as "cheap" (lacking good quality). Those back sprockets are a piece of junk and I had to sit down with a round file and "fine tune" that thing, because it was "camming", even though the pivot point was properly centered on the back axle. The kerf (valley between the points) were not consistent. The sprockets are stamped parts, not machined like most American made sprockets are.

Don't get me started on the Chinese stuff!!!!

Old Skool

If i am going through all this trouble trying to get this carb to work properly, would it be easier for me to just buy a different style of carb, if so could you recommend which one i get

This is just a thought ... if you are considering changing carbs, you won't have anything to lose by opening up the current one. Actually, it is a pretty simple act and would only require about 30 minutes of your time. Be sure to close the fuel valve in the bottom of the tank before you start.

First, disconnet the hand throttle, so you will have some slack in the throttle cable - two screws.

Then, remove the carb from the manifold - one screw.

After that, remove the screws that hold the top throttle plate to the main body of the carb - two screws.

That is only five screws! Set the carb body aside on a clean surface. You may (or may not) want to disconnect the fuel line from the carb.

Look over the throttle plunger to be sure that you understand how it is assembled, slightly compress the spring and slide the cable end from the opening in the side of the fuel plunger, and remove the needle. you will see five small notches in the top of the needle, and will probably see the little black clip in the 2nd from the top notch.

Use some small pliers to remove the clip from the original position and then clip it onto the next lower position. That action will increase the flow of fuel into the small jet (orifice).

Put it back together in reverse order from which you took it apart. Open the fuel valve in the bottom of the gas tank.

Crank the engine. Tune the carb with the adjustment screws (if necessary)on the outside of the carb - which was previously discussed.

You might be surprised at the results. You will have a little labor with no money invested. This will help to give you a better understanding of that little knockoff carb, which isn't that complex.

Old Skool

This is just a thought ... if you are considering changing carbs, you won't have anything to lose by opening up the current one. Actually, it is a pretty simple act and would only require about 30 minutes of your time. Be sure to close the fuel valve in the bottom of the tank before you start.

First, disconnet the hand throttle, so you will have some slack in the throttle cable - two screws.

Then, remove the carb from the manifold - one screw.

After that, remove the screws that hold the top throttle plate to the main body of the carb - two screws.

That is only five screws! Set the carb body aside on a clean surface. You may (or may not) want to disconnect the fuel line from the carb.

Look over the throttle plunger to be sure that you understand how it is assembled, slightly compress the spring and slide the cable end from the opening in the side of the fuel plunger, and remove the needle. you will see five small notches in the top of the needle, and will probably see the little black clip in the 2nd from the top notch.

Use some small pliers to remove the clip from the original position and then clip it onto the next lower position. That action will increase the flow of fuel into the small jet (orifice).

Put it back together in reverse order from which you took it apart. Open the fuel valve in the bottom of the gas tank.

Crank the engine. Tune the carb with the adjustment screws (if necessary)on the outside of the carb - which was previously discussed.

You might be surprised at the results. You will have a little labor with no money invested. This will help to give you a better understanding of that little knockoff carb, which isn't that complex.

Old Skool
thanks for all the help guys, i finally got my carb right, i just have to adjust the air/fuel mixture and the idle screws so it will idle right, but i have it running perfectly besides that.

thanks for all the help guys, i finally got my carb right, i just have to adjust the air/fuel mixture and the idle screws so it will idle right, but i have it running perfectly besides that.

It's good to hear that news. Now, you can get out there and enjoy it, hopefully without any other major issues.

Old Skool

Back