clamshell adaptor from livefast motors

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by oldnube, Oct 9, 2011.

1. oldnube

oldnube Member

I saw this adaptor advertised, it looked good to me, has anyone tried it? What do you think of it?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

2. oldnube

oldnube Member

Yes I Used Search

HOW MANY? SEARCH AGAIN with no matches found must one get so it is ok to reapeat a question and not be told to use the search?

3. bideronit13

bideronit13 Member

4. loquin

loquin Active Member

5. oldnube

oldnube Member

yes I saw that one

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  6. loquin

loquin Active Member

• CE's adapter is made of aluminum (as is livefast's adapter,) and uses 5/16 inch bolts, I believe. 5/16-16 bolts in 2024 aluminum should be torqued to a max of 80 inch-lbs / 7 foot-lbs. (I don't know what aluminum alloy that either CE or livefast uses for their adapters, though.) You should check with the vendor you choose, to verify the alloy and/or the maximum torque allowed for both the clamp bolts and the sprocket bolts. (I believe that livefast uses smaller bolts, but more of them, on his design, so the max torque on his aluminum clamshell would probably be less.)

Just add a drop of loktite to your bolts, and snug 'em down to no more than the recommended torque.
    • You would also need to buy one of CE's sprockets to fit, or drill 3 new holes holes in your existing sprocket. (Note that the cost of a mount AND a new sprocket from CE is about the same as livefast's adapter...)
    • There are two bolts on the clamshell adapter that hold the two halves together. The images below are from CE's site.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  7. loquin

loquin Active Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  8. oldnube

oldnube Member

Thank You

Thank you Mr Loquin I think I like the one you have best. Does these make it so I dont have to reform the coaster brake lever I hope?

9. loquin

loquin Active Member

You shouldn't have to...

The pic below (from CE's website) shows it it use on a Schwinn cruiser with coaster brake. Not clearly, but you can see the end of the coaster brake arm and its clamp.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  10. oldnube

oldnube Member

Thank You

You all are so helpful. I wish I had internet on my laptop I would have a great file of building TS notes. But I am happy and greatful to have this limited connection, you MBers have armed me with info to where my dream is possable. THANK YOU ALL!

11. Max-M

Max-M Member

I'm about to install one of these aluminum "clamshell" hub adapters (with a 56-tooth sprocket).

Should I put anything between the adapter and the hub, like a thin sheet of rubber? Or is it standard to just install these adapters "metal to metal"?

12. loquin

loquin Active Member

Creative Engineering's adapters are machined 'to fit' your specific hub - no shim is needed, or should be used.

I believe the livefastmotors clamshell adapters come with rubber shims, as they are much more generic in nature. (and as a result, less 'precise.')

13. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

Which hub adapter do you have?
    Where did you buy it from?
    Is it made by Manic Mechanic?
    What hub are you installing it on?

If so it is very important that it fits precisely with no shims.

The instructions are here www.mmbikeparts.com

14. bms420

bms420 New Member

I have the claim shell.. I myself can't get the wobble out of it... I plan on getting an adapter from pirate cycles....

15. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

Hub Adapter

If anyone is running a Schwinn, Huffy, Worksman or La Jolla 26" coaster hub you should check out the Howard Adapter. It's a Rock Solid piece. No one that has used it ever said anything bad except it's a little bulky. It IS a Solid piece of metal. Sgt. Howard of this site should still have some for sale. You will not be disapointed. A couple of people on this site are using it, so check out what they have to say about it. I've been running one for a couple months with NO problem.
    Big Red.

Attached Files:

• 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      108.4 KB
      Views: