Brakes coaster brakes

Discussion in 'Bicycle Repair' started by Unregistered, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I'm new to motorized bicycles and was wondering if the single rear coaster brake on a single speed crusier has enough stopping power?

2. mickey

mickey Guest

I think a single brake is not enough to bet your life on. Especially a coaster brake. If you had a chain part, you'd have no brakes but your Fred Flintstones. :grin:

I'd add a front caliper brake at least.

3. Jim H

Jim H Guest

Not if it has a motor.

4. I recommend adding a front brake as soon as possible. A coaster brake generally won't stop you in an a sudden emergency stop, plus if your regular bike chain breaks or jumps off the sprocket....you'll have no brakes at all. Spooky Tooth sells a nice meaty front brake kit that will stop much more quickly than a coaster. Best of luck with your new MB.

5. Do yourself a big favor and invest in atleast a front caliper brake. My coaster brake is sketchy enough as it is, factor an engine into it and you're asking for trouble.

6. Bean Oil

Bean Oil Guest

Short answer: No.

Always add a front brake; whatever you can use up front is a HUGE safety advantage in an emergency stop.
    Just cruisin' around, yeah, the foot brake is fine but if you need to stop instantly and in a short a distance as possible, you need a front brake.

Now, join up! Register here with a username, a password and post an introductory post as per the private message that will be sent to you upon completetion of your free registration.

:)~

7. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

there ya go...we got all 5 of those replies independantly of each other...& i personally agree.

8. JemmaUK

JemmaUK Guest

My advice is the coaster brake will stop you - up until it dies/fails ... and then you would be in trouble

my personal setup would be (when I have the money) - front drum brake and front rim brake plus the coaster - depending on the speed of the machine...

I would trust that to stop me up to 35mph plus...

Double pull brake lever for the two front brakes...

Expensive but doesnt hurt as much as the side of a dodge...

Jemma xx

9. kerf

kerf Guest

In addition to the limitations of a coaster brake, it's the front wheel that will be most efficient in stopping the bike due to the forward weight transfer. In a quick stop, I don't use the rear brake because the wheel will lock up and just slide. I've lifted the rear wheel off the ground more than once, scared myself a few times too.

10. turbo/chaos

turbo/chaos Guest

twin brake for me works the best front and back at the same time cant go wrong ther i know i drive and deliver on my bike every day and drive it 60-80 mils a day belive me it works out just as well as moding it to fit a drum

11. Coaster brakes are simply dangerous on any bike. My 8 yearold fell on his shoulder after standing up to pedal and looking back at me... his weight shifted back on the brake and down he went. I spent the rest of the night lacing up a freewheel for his 16" Ever try to slide a locked coaster brake bike in a straight line on ice? The weight shift required to apply the brake is enough to send your rear tire out to the left. This is what occurs at 30mph. By the time you can say "oh snap" and let off the brake you are pointed right at the curb with misaligned tires. I would be interested to know how fast the human head is traveling when whipped to the pavement by a tall bicycle going 30mph... ouch.. Solutions for older coaster brake bikes are Band brakes attached to the sprocket. and using a BMX clamp brake just to keep the back tire behind the front..... The front brake provides most of the stopping power just be careful on dirt roads and gravel... Ouch again...

12. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I have a quality coaster brake and it will stop me sufficiently...however, for safety sake, I have a caliper brake as well. I'm not going to bet it all on one brake no matter what that one brake is.

13. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

You definitely need a front brake. Keep in mind that all coaster brakes are not created equal. Some are better quality and will have more stopping power than some others. Some you can service easily (New Departure, Bendix, Shimano), others have no virtually parts availability (Chinese ones in particular). But that's all academic when the vibration from your engine causes the nut and bolt to come off the brake arm and you suddenly have no brakes at 20mph. (That was before I realized you need to Lock-Tite EVERYTHING on the bike). I had a front drum brake laced in very shortly thereafter.

14. Quenton Guenther

Quenton Guenther Motored Bikes Sponsor

80% of the stopping power is in the front brake. I am currently testing the new Ambassador model from Whizzer, and I can tell you it will stop faster & safer than any motorbike I have ever ridden, however the rear wheel will often slide in a panic stop, but the front will control the stopping power completely.
    Of all the motorbikes I personally own [over 20] only one doesn't have a front brake [my 1950 Pacemaker], and only because it didn't have one when new.
    Have fun
    Whizzer OuterBanks,
    Quenton

15. jlebh1

jlebh1 Member

to stop the hassle with coaster brakes (had a motor on one with them and they locked up at 55kmph I just replaced the back wheel with a 26" mountain bike wheel and put a bmx single speed freewheel sproket on my giant brand 26" cruiser. still working on it im taking the motor to an engine reconditioner to drill out and thead it to 8mm bolts insted the 6mm ones sorry for all the metric.(im in australia)

16. Irish John

Irish John Guest

I wish those coaster brakes would just die out of fashion. They are a real pain and most cruisers just have one coaster brake. In Australia it is illegal to sell a bike without two independent brakes so I think a double pull lever wouldn't be legal but I use one. To comply with the law many cruisers are sold with a front caliper brake that screws into the head tube part of the forks. These brakes are not much better than useless and you need a good linear pull brake that screws into bosses on each side of the forks. Disc brake in the front is even better. There is a cheap cruiser bike available from China that is specially made for motored bikes and has 1 rear v-brake and a rear drum brake and a front disc on suspension forks. I like the 2 cruisers I know of that have 2 v-brakes - the Schwinn Alloy 7 and the Felt Heritage which also has springer forks. I've just bought 2 chinese cruisers with front discs, suspension forks and rear v-brake but they haven't arrived yet.
    They look OK in the photos though.

17. beach cruzin

beach cruzin Guest

Shimano cb E110 12ga coaster, is about the best out there for the price.

And properly lubed and justed should not lock or skidd

18. a4489@yahoo.com

a4489@yahoo.com New Member

How do you make the rear sprocket work around the bendex on the coaster brake?

19. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

If your riding was in the 12 -15 mph range, a coaster brake would do fairly well. BUT, it is much safer to have a front brake on the bike & if you can, add a rear hand brake as well.