Thoughts on using coaster brakes with a disc brake up front?

cloakedvillain

Local time
7:18 AM
I know that coaster brakes fail from overheating and that the front brake does most of the work. The coaster brake is a brilliant design that endures for good reason but sucks when used as the only brake.

I know that coaster brakes fail from overheating and that the front brake does most of the work. The coaster brake is a brilliant design that endures for good reason but sucks when used as the only brake.
Whizzers do this just with a front drum break. I still don't think it's a good idea. A coaster brake can easily be used by accident
I had my bike originally set up with a caliper brake on the front with the coaster in the rear so I could at least start breakin whilst awaiting my mags and disk brakes to arrive...Even with a front caliper brake I added to it for the moment and had lots of grab to it, the coaster brake still locked up and failed within a week...When it locked up, it took the wheel bearings with it as well, despite the fact that I had taken everything apart and greased things up accordingly, knowing there must be a Great Grease Shortage in China...lol...lol.

Coaster brakes with any sort of front brake, (in my personal opinion), just does not stand up no matter what...Dump the coaster, you will be happy you did.

it's not a matter of effectiveness as to why people don't suggest using them, but a matter of safety. They aren't meant to stop a bike going 20+mph on a regular basis. They will fail, and when they fail they take out the rear hub. A rear rim brake is the minimum I would suggest going. A rear drum brake is even better, and obviously rear disc is the "best."

Nah, it was just because coast brake simplify the look of a bike.
These bikes aren't just about "the look of the bike"...What good is looks if your injured or maimed...or worse???

Your first concern should always be safety, second concern is that it should be mechanically sound which contributes to overall safety, looks should come into it only once the first two concerns are satisfied.

These bikes aren't just about "the look of the bike"...What good is looks if your injured or maimed...or worse???

Your first concern should always be safety, second concern is that it should be mechanically sound which contributes to overall safety, looks should come into it only once the first two concerns are satisfied.
But Damien, chicks dig scars 🤣

I agree that safety is the first priority. It makes sense why coaster brakes aren't used on anything other than slow bikes like cruisers and city bikes. It is most similar to a tiny drum brake.

I still think the wireless look is cool though. Internal cable routing would get that while only sacrificing ease of maintenance. Still a big trade off for styling.

I agree that safety is the first priority. It makes sense why coaster brakes aren't used on anything other than slow bikes like cruisers and city bikes. It is most similar to a tiny drum brake.

I still think the wireless look is cool though. Internal cable routing would get that while only sacrificing ease of maintenance. Still a big trade off for styling.
The inner workings of a coaster brake is very interesting

Back