Cracked frame

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Al.Fisherman, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

I noticed when I bought the kit, it showed a optional front frame mount for the engine, calling to drill a hole "through" the front bar, Thinking about this I had a idea where I could mount the CDI and hide the wires through the tubing. Since nothing was mentioned about drilling "through" the tube, I didn't think drilling just one hole, and NOT completely through would hurt. As you can see in the photos, the frame broke clean in two....Beware drilling the frame......Just a heads up, and if you already drilled a front mounting hole, inspect it periodically. By the way, I drilled the bottle hole screw hole out larger.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009

2. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Ouch! Glad no bodily harm.

3. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

It's a pity. But I'm glad, too, that you didn't get hurt. Other than losing a bike that looks like it was great, that is.

4. DJEEPER

DJEEPER Member

dude... you have some serious leaks!

glad everything is ok with ya!

NEXT BIKE! :D

5. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

The bike is a descent brand so it just goes to show what we DON'T mention enough here.....don't drill your frame unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary.
    Glad there was no accident.

PS...always a good idea to have some sort(usually rubber) of vibration isolating material between the engine & frame.

6. retromike3

retromike3 Member

I had the same thing happen to my seat tube. Engine vibration cut though it like a hacksaw. Fortunately I was able to do a bit of welding and fixed it.(who needs a front derailleur anyway) I also patched the hole in the downtube and I am using last years zoom cycle engine that requires no drilling in the first place.(bigger size mounts.

good luck, Mike Frye A.K.A. Frye Bikes

7. Will Snow

Will Snow Member

I have read of this happening before. One fellow installed a Wizzer motor on a older bicycle, then traveled from the west coast to the east coast (almost). I think it was just before reaching New York, the frame broke in two.
    As I remember, I don't think he got hurt either.

8. azbill

azbill Active Member

that was Rif Addams, he is a long time member here (uncle_punk13)
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/member.php?u=1976

there is a very nice thread here he wrote about that trip :cool2:

9. Will Snow

Will Snow Member

I think I remember reading that Bill. He also wrote about having his Whizzer motor modified at woodstock Whizzer and was very pleased with the out come. I was influenced by his report and sent my Whizzer to Woodstock. The fellow did a good job for me also.

Bill Snow