Brakes Disc Brakes for a Beach Cruiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have this bike now, I plan on giving it as a gift to my nephew but if it'd work I'd use it and get him another one or something else.
I would leave that one as it is and give it as a gift, as that's what you planned.
The silver bike above is actually very interesting. The deep V angle at the bottom of the front triangle and the ample space above the head, no cables on the down tube and the top pull front derailleur could probably be left on. It has chunkier cranks than your nephew's and a no-nonsense no-NRS fork. V brakes are adequate for summer.
I'll get my toothpick out and count the spokes...

The reason I'm not saving $ up for a quality bike is because I been driving the Swinn back and forth to work and unfortunately I been repeatedly told it's a safety risk in more ways then one. I don't want to risk continuing to ride it thus my search for a bike that will work and be safe. I'm just trying to explain why I'm being a persistent pain in the ass, I do appreciate all the help though.
No worries. You've explained you're a bicycle newbie. :) I'm sure most people getting into the motored bikes hobby aren't coming from being really into human powered cycles, anyway.
More people on bicycles of any kind is a good thing for everyone. :)

I also have this bike now, I plan on giving it as a gift to my nephew but if it'd work I'd use it and get him another one or something else.
All the bike's you are showing are multi speed odd geometry bikes that will give you lots of greif to set up right at first those bikes have grip shifters that need to be dealt with or trigger ones that's two extra things on the bars taking valuable real estate two extra cables and so on It may be best just to keep it simple and trouble free as possible at first and see how you do with that!

All the bike's you are showing are multi speed odd geometry bikes that will give you lots of greif to set up right at first those bikes have grip shifters that need to be dealt with or trigger ones that's two extra things on the bars taking valuable real estate two extra cables and so on It may be best just to keep it simple and trouble free as possible at first and see how you do with that!
Yea the Schwinn was put together as simply as possible (like I had a choice) and I'd love to keep this simple to. Let me ask, if I got quality forks with a disc tab for my current MB would it be a smart move or should I just keep looking for something of a better over all quality? My motor has all the upgrades I want (well maybe a jack shaft down the line) so it's time to focus on the bike itself. I do have a OCC bike in the garage but that too will take a special sprocket adapter, mount and brakes so that is for a future build once Inlearn enough.

I would leave that one as it is and give it as a gift, as that's what you planned.
The silver bike above is actually very interesting. The deep V angle at the bottom of the front triangle and the ample space above the head, no cables on the down tube and the top pull front derailleur could probably be left on. It has chunkier cranks than your nephew's and a no-nonsense no-NRS fork. V brakes are adequate for summer.
I'll get my toothpick out and count the spokes...
So the silver Diamond Back huh?? The price is $100., I'd buy it if you guys think the price is fair & it wouldn't have the problems of a cheap bike down the line. Would a bike like that be worth putting quality forks on it? Would you buy it for a $100?

So the silver Diamond Back huh?? The price is $100., I'd buy it if you guys think the price is fair & it wouldn't have the problems of a cheap bike down the line. Would a bike like that be worth putting quality forks on it? Would you buy it for a $100?
You'll always have "the problems of a cheap bike" with any cheap bike. At least with the silver one it looks like none of that few $ of manufacturing costs has gone into an NRS for or ineffective discs that aren't any better than a V brake, or any other gimmicks or fashion stuff.
It's just a very sensible and functional bike for a price point.

It isn't possible to upgrade the fork to any suspension fork worth having, due to the 1" steerer (it looks like it has). It is possible to upgrade the fork to another rigid fork but one hat has a disc brake mount. Choice is limited and the 1" steerer forks with disc brake mount aren't better, they just have a disc brake mount. You would have to but a wheel and brake then, so it is not worth it unless you're getting problems with the v brake in snow or something.
The wheels can be upgraded to stronger ones, sure, but you're okay on spoke count and you don't need discs.
For the price of a v brake, discs are no better. Good discs just cost a bit more than adequate V brakes. Discs are better in the wet. Anything is better than the single pivot caliper brake you have on the cruiser.
You can upgrade the tyres to a better rolling and more puncture resistant model but that's the same with any cheap bike.
The fork may be rigid but at least it will track straight when you go around corners or brake.

But you could just get a fork and a v brake and put them on your cruiser.
Or take the parts you want from that silver bike.
Or buy a rigid disc brake mount fork and a wheel and a disc brake.

Would you buy it for a $100?

For £100/$100 I'd still look for something with 1&1/8" steerer.

I probably wouldn't find it for £100 but by the time I'd looked I would have another £20-£50 more saved up and I'd get something for £120-£150 used.

But yeah it gets one vote, I think it's okay for motorising.

Get him down to $80 ;)

For £100/$100 I'd still look for something with 1&1/8" steerer.

I probably wouldn't find it for £100 but by the time I'd looked I would have another £20-£50 more saved up and I'd get something for £120-£150 used.

But yeah it gets one vote, I think it's okay for motorising.

Get him down to $80 ;)
I don't think anyone has mentioned that till you did. 1 1/8" steer tube should be a must on your buy or you will be limited badly on any future upgrade.

I like 77113 but when I got done with it you probably wouldn't recognize it

It's a good general/ local errands bike. I call it "the general" lol. :)
This is an actual photo of it, it's the newest one I have of those Carrera Subway 2 bikes, instead of the generic image I grabbed off the web before :
IMG_20160921_124709.jpg

If I was to motorise this (and im sure I will eventually, if the chain would pass the seat stays) the only things I'd change are the saddle that could be bouncier and the rear brake needs spacing further out to fit the sprocket adapter.
It was £120 used, and I think the £120 went to the right components so that is why I recommend this style of bike to the OP (or just a fork and v brake!). It won't take a rag joint because of 32 spoke wheels but an adapter will become available for it from the current builds.
I wouldn't upgrade the fork to (one of my many spare) suspension forks I have because it would raise the bottom bracket (pedals!) a bit and it rides nice as it is. Those are good stable angles.

I think the silver bike the OP was looking at is fine for $80 and it doesn't need the fork to be upgraded in future, in which case the 1" steerer isn't a problem. That fork, wheel and brake can go on his cruiser, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back