Brakes Ditch those caliper brakes.

I think v-brake and coaster is a good combo. Just keep your coaster maintained and greased, and do a visual check on the coaster strap and bolt all the time. You can convert the coaster brake to free-coaster later and use a rim brake if you want, by replacing the coaster brake shoes with 2-3 washers. Ask around for tips.

How much does the bike and rider weigh? I am 150lb in coat and boots, and the bike is 80lb with tool kit and gas. I have a China Star caliper front brake and Hi Stop coaster rear, and do well, but it takes a lot of hand grip effort to stop hard.

I think a v-brake front would be plenty, easy, but the coaster backup is nice for wet roads or trimming speed. I use the choke switch for long downhills, so brake fade is no issue for me.

IMG_1305.jpg

Just got my Magura HS33 on this weekend. Love em.

magura: best rim brake

I think the Magura rim brake is the best rim brake you can get your hands on. they are what I call mature technology. to get better you have to go with something other than a rim brake. I don't know even if they even make them any more. I have a pair in a box but, I need to replace the hoses. I think I will put them on my next bike.

mike

They make em, and the new mounting system took me a whole 30 mins to mount, with adjustment. You can get olives and ferrings for like 2.50 a set. And since they are low pressure you can use any standard lines. They also make braided steel but way out of my price range

Maguras are awesome. There is a reason why they have been a standard in technical mtn biking and trials riding for years. Think of the system as a hydraulic disc brake with a 26" rotor. There are knobs on the levers that let you dial in your brake (sort of like a barrel adjuster on cable brakes), and a little lever on the brake lets you spread the pads for tire removal.

But there's a reason why they have stayed in technical MTB and trials, they require they're own boss position. Unless they changed that in the last several years. Maguras aren't just something you change your mind to and put them on. Awesome yes but they and a corresponding frame must be chosen from the beginning. If that's not true then the guy at the LBS pushed me away from buying a Magura brake stabilizer brace because he told me it wouldn't fit my canti/V mounts.

Maguras

you don't need a special set up for them In fact my dad has a set on his old road bike that was set up with cantilevers in the seventies. Its a old set that I had in my shop and I was keeping it for the right bike. He has gone through three sets of pads since then.

mike

Hmmm, that must have been an older style I had read about or something. I guess they were always out of my range so I didn't study them closely enough. I just thought I had read that back when I was looking into trials stuff. I have to watch what I say, my bike knowledge is a little dated.:whistle:

I still want to know how you guys are getting good results out of side pull calipers. I must have always had bad pads but I won't even trust my kids with those. V-brakes are my favorite (because I haven't tried disk yet) and always caution EVERYONE of their power. I have a good story to prove it but let's leave it at: if used improperly they will remove you from the bike. And these are Tektros with stock pads that are like 10 years old.

Last edited:
Your LBS sucks. There are Maguras that mount to frames using 4 small screws, for dedicated frames, but there are widely available versions in the neighborhood of $200-250 front and rear with levers, that fit right onto v-brake bikes as a ready upgrade.

Front and rear with hoses and levers
http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?Item=005463021103
MAGURA_HS33_HYDRO_RIMBRK_BLK.jpg

http://www.cambriabike.com/Images/product/MAGURA_HS33_HYDRO_RIMBRK_BLK.jpg
SKU Shown: 005463021103
Item Color: BLACK

CBO Price: $232.95 msrp: $258.00

Heres one from Danscomp
http://www.danscomp.com/482065.php

Click below to view additional images for Magura EVO 2 Hydraulic Rim Brake:
BRAKESLINEAR Magura EVO 2 Hydraulic Rim Brake
Black

Details and Specs for Magura EVO 2 Hydraulic Rim Brake:

Magura HS33 Evo 2 hydraulic rim brake are some of the toughest hydraulic rim brakes on the market featuring a pre-filled closed hydraulic system without a reservoir, 53" nylon hydraulic line that can be easily shortened to any length, forged aluminum brake lever and caliper and detailed instructions. Note: Designed to work on Canti mounts (V-brake mounts) only! (13.8 oz)

But there's a reason why they have stayed in technical MTB and trials, they require they're own boss position. Unless they changed that in the last several years. Maguras aren't just something you change your mind to and put them on. Awesome yes but they and a corresponding frame must be chosen from the beginning. If that's not true then the guy at the LBS pushed me away from buying a Magura brake stabilizer brace because he told me it wouldn't fit my canti/V mounts.

Last edited:
Hmmm, that must have been an older style I had read about or something. I guess they were always out of my range so I didn't study them closely enough. I just thought I had read that back when I was looking into trials stuff. I have to watch what I say, my bike knowledge is a little dated.:whistle:

I still want to know how you guys are getting good results out of side pull calipers. I must have always had bad pads but I won't even trust my kids with those. V-brakes are my favorite (because I haven't tried disk yet) and always caution EVERYONE of their power. I have a good story to prove it but let's leave it at: if used improperly they will remove you from the bike. And these are Tektros with stock pads that are like 10 years old.

They lied to you or don't know what they are talking about. Mine slipped right on the stock cantilever mounts. It uses only one screw and one cantilever stud to mount. The quick release mount is genius, and almost as well designed as the floating adjustment to line up the calipers using two integrated clamps to fix what can best be described as a telescoping ball joint, for the pads. Pads just pop off. Unbelievable engineering. and kicks the snot out of any cantilever brakes.

Back