Extreme Noob Fuel Filter Question

Ooohhh, braided lines sound awesome! I went with clear lines cuz they look better then the black ones. Braided is even better!!! :bowdown:

The problem with braided steel line is the cost. you'd have to buy quite a bit of it in order to get the peice you need. you can't just buy a foot of it...you have to buy a bunch.
Steel braided line takes special AN fittings which are threaded on one end with a special flair on the end. You may not find the line or fittings small enough to use for fuel line on your bike. The AN fittings will not work with the gas shut off valve anyway.
The line and fittings can be expensive.

An alternative would be braided line covering, which is a steel braided sleeve that you slide over regular fuel line. You have to buy it in a kit, and it comes with fake fittings that go over regular hose clamps, and they look very similar to the special AN fittings. Cutting this sleeve is difficult, but it can be done with a dremel tool and a cut-off wheel.
But again, you'd have to buy a kit to get the sleeve and the fittings, and you may not find it in the right size.
They do make the braided sleeve for small diameter vacuum lines so maybe you can find one small enough in one of the kits.
I personally like the clear line.

Last edited:
steelfan

Check with your local Harley shop on the braided line covering
they use it for oil lines

your right about price and fittings it can be difficult. im a diesel mechanic and our workshop is riddled with left over hose and old fittings taps ect, so its an easy one for me. but most likely a waste of time/money (impractical) to go and purchase everything from a store. im also toying with the idea of a secondary tank mounted to the rear rack as a back up/reserve possibly underneath. so i could carry stuff on the rack still ive got a brush cutter tank that fits nicely there and the filler is also accesable from the side. will keep u posted :)

Back