Final Install of my Leaf Blowe Motor.

JBweld

I just spent $80+ to buy a new roller and have it shipped up here. If the JB wears well, I can just recondition the one I have, and perhaps coat the new one in a surface that might work better when wet. I don't have any lapidary stores nearby, but I can get worn cutting wheels for free. Thanks for the idea.

Ok i'm sure the JB weld will work with the carbide grandules rather than my ground up stones, BUT the JB weld has to be mixed perfectly and I'm sure the roller has to be sanded rough, and maybe gouged with a DREMEL to lock in the JB WELD I will continue to expirement on a more reliable roller. My roller that i had was working great until i came upon a puddle of water , now i have to find a better abrasive than ground up stones, because they are to soft and wear thru to easy when it slips. Sorry All

upgraded roller

2nd shaft.jpgOk here is the pic of my new roller, it consists of JB Weld and carbide grinder grandules thanks to a tip from a member on here, Weld splatter, Shorter and lighter shaft to make it easier on the engine. I think this roller will be indestructable. I HOPE LOL. Thanks to all of the complaments and help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty good. Some of the drive rollers are rubber/plastic type wheels & some are steel. I have one that is steel & I cannot see it ever wearing out. But the JB Weld & grit helps it to have some grip in wet weather. No matter what type drive roller,, be sure to clean it very good before applying the JB mix. I spray the rollers with starting fluid to clean them. You may have to experiment a little to get the right mixture/grit .

Rollers do wear

Steel rollers do wear. This is my 1.5" Staton roller after 900 miles. Now, with over 1000 on it, the center of the roller is mirror smooth. My experience is probably not the norm. I ride hard on and off road. Also, there is a lot of fine grit everywhere here (from the glaciers wearing down the mountains) that gets into everything and probably accelerates wear.

This thread will help me tremendously. I can buy a lot of JB Weld for the price I'd pay for shipping another new drive roller up here. The roller I just ordered is a 1 1/8" for a little more low end for off road.

Attachments

• IMG_1315_1.jpg
    IMG_1315_1.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 394
You go the other way for more speed. Use a larger wheel on the engine. It is a trade off with torque. The larger wheel on the engine will drive you faster, but when you hit a hill, you loose the torque and slow down.

I defiantly have a roller that is too small. I am going to look for a larger pipe to weld on, if I get it thick enough I could sleeve the one I have. My belt sander belt material works well but hard on the tire. Thanks for the Info. Have fun Dave

PS: Mom wanted me to have a helmet. What do you think? will it keep me from dinging my noggin! I went for a ride today.

Attachments

• PICT0122.JPG
    PICT0122.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 429
  • PICT0123.JPG
    PICT0123.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 393
  • PICT0128.JPG
    PICT0128.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 400
ok i hooked up a speedo and i'm sure it is off, I know it goes faster than my 70cc@32mph, but 44.6 mph on this motor, I'm thinking my speedo is off, but i have it programmed right. It has me wanting to buy another speedo, or have my wife follow me while i wind it out.

Is the speedo set for a different size wheel?

No. i set the speedo for the correct parameter. But... i had my friend go beside me at about midnight on a straight away and found out that the speedo is about 10mph off. I was only going 35mph. So now i know the speedo is off alot. I'm going to get rid of that dang thing. i was also told by the seller of that speedo that it may not work on such a small wheel Parameter. It's nice to know that after i had bought it. lol

Back