Flexible Fuel Line??

Discussion in 'Spare Parts, Tools & Product Developement' started by Cali-Rider, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

The "fuel line" that came with my kit is just cheap clear plastic. It looks nice and bends quite well but has hardened due to heat and fuel.

I got a piece of automotive fuel line and it is so thick that I can't really bend it... The only thing I've seen is the Vitton tube that Rock Solid sells, but I think they are as overpriced as it gets. Any help with other options?

Also, my fuel on/off barb puts my fuel line very close to my cylinder head. Is there any shortened barb and/or inline on/off valve around?

Thanks

2. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

Use vacuum line. Automotive fuel line is built to withstand pressure from a fuel pump. There is no such pressure in any of these fuel lines because these carbs are all gravity-fed.

3. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

The best line is fuel line....All lawnmower shops sells fuel line. I use 3/16" line and I don't have to use clamps. If the line is hard to get on, use some heat (boiling water, hair dryer), I didn't have too.

Yes, vacuum line can be used, but I like fuel line as you can see the fuel running through it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  4. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

Thanks Al, That sounds like the way to go since vacuum line is not fuel resistant. I'll look into some lawn mower shops.

Any idea about a fuel barb without an on off? The length of my on/off fuel barb put the begining of my fuel line quite close to the cylinder head.

5. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

These carbs are prone to leaking when the engine is off so you need that valve. Just orientate it a different way.

6. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

I was asking about an inline valve and a shorter barb since I can't orientate a straight piece of metal any other way than straight. It is not the valve switch that is in the way but the end of the barb that points almost straight at my cylinder head. I had the idea of cutting one of the convolutions of the barb off to shorten its overall length, but it wouldn't do as much as just having the barb start from the tank itself.

7. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

The carb looks like this, right?

[​IMG]

8. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

I am liking the looks of that but I just got a new Delorto copy so no that won't work. But the barb that the other side of the fuel line that connects to the tank with would be perfect and then a seperate inline on/off valve.

9. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

These carbs suck. Took a lot of modification to get this to function at all RPM and throttle positions. I'm sure that delorto won't leak either so you can prolly ditch the valve.

10. Al.Fisherman

Let's see a picture. As long as the fuel can flow with gravity, you can run the line on the cross tube then down. You really need a fuel shut off, and a filter so when not riding you can turn it off. Length doesn't make any difference as long it doesn't go higher then the tank. Gravity works.

11. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

I'll post a picture asap, the one in my album is with my old carb and at a bad angle, but might give you an idea of what I'm dealing with. I am not worried about the carb being starved, I am worried about my fuel line being too close to my cylinder head. This is a VERY tightly packed mountain bike frame and the fuel tank's outlet points almost straight at the cylinder head.
    Is there any plain barb for the fuel tank with no on/off valve for sale?

Bad Pic:
    http://www.motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=1619&pictureid=11283

12. Al.Fisherman

You can run the fuel line under the tube and hold with zip ties.

13. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

I would but the giant's frame runs the rear brake and derailor cables under the top tube...

Will update with better photos when I get home...

Home now!

Here's a pic that might show what I'm talking about better:
    [​IMG]

14. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

Any ideas?
    I am thinking about getting some large fuel line to run from the tank to the on/off valve with hose clamps. Then using the smaller fuel line to connect to the filter and then the carb.

15. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

I thought you were talking about the valve on the carb, not the petcock. That's what that valve is called, a petcock. If you ever need to remove your carb for any reason, you really need a way to shut the fuel off at the tank unless you want to flip the bike over and empty it every time. I'd search for a 90deg petcock.

16. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

That sounds perfect but I can't find any with the M10 1.0 threads that the tank has...
    That is the correct bolt pattern for the standard fuel tank right?

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, do you have any ideas where I can find one?
    Many thanks

17. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

Ebay. You can find anything and everything there.

18. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

19. tooljunkie

tooljunkie Member

what?? you mean its not 1/8 npt?
    i had assumed it would be pipe thread.
    i was going to suggest a 45 degree npt street elbow.
    thats out.
    unless you have a tap and die set.SAE and Metric.

20. Cali-Rider

Cali-Rider Member

I have access to tap and dye sets, and still those links I provided are the best that I can find. Do you think that the first or last link has a better chance of fitting?