Florida Motorcycle Laws and Definitions

man... this is coming from someone who rides an mb from daytona beach, fl to orlando fl once a week, i must force myself to ignore most of what i read here, because thus far ive yet to be harrassed or asked to show my non-existant license or registration... (knock on wood) i follow all rules and laws for any other BICYCLIST (hand signals, obeying traffic signs, and sticking to the right side of the road or rightmost side of the left turn lane if turning) the way i see it: if i present myself as a bicycle they will percieve me as a bicycle. if i present myself as a motorcycle or moped and get it the way of traffic like most mopeds, then they will percieve me as a moped. so in reality, they WILL see you, there is no hiding from them (police) so my advice to an MBer would be not to act like a motorcycle or moped. act like a bicycle. and you will be seen and treated like one....

more advice:
relax
ghost pedal when needed
never zoom past cars stopped at lights or traffic jams
respect and stay out of the way of motorists
wear eye protection (police officers biggest issue here)
and... RIDE THAT THING!!!

gah...

This thread hasn't been touched in almost 7 months..
The questions to motorized bicycles in Florida has answered many times.
Thankfully for you in Daytona, you don't need a DL while in that municipality.

Why would you have to ghost peddle? Just peddle when you are not in Daytona, simple.
Never heard of needing eye protection, but I guess that's a Daytona thing.

I'm guessing from your post that you don't have DL.
Do NOT suggest to anyone that they should break the law too.
Get involved with trying to make a change via the correct way

Don't know why you would post on a thread that hasn't been touched in over 6 months except to troll.

If you decide that you want to do something illegal, then fine, but don't force or suggest it on others.

Last edited:
yeah its obvious this thread hasnt been touched in 7 months. i thought this was a forum i was just expressing my opinion. dont turn peoples words into something that your not entirely sure they mean. no wonder this thread wasnt taken seriously... i figured since i live in daytona and was LEGAL i would explain my experience riding an mb myself. i wasnt suggesting anyone break the law i was describing how i stay within the law and also avoid harrassment. im sorry for commenting on your old precious thread. figured people would like to know. and i guess ill do what the smarter of the people in this thread did and just left it alone. because sad enough 7 months later your still in the "bashing" mood. so have a nice day "sangesf" and while i legally ride in daytona beach, you can continue being a disgruntled forum member. im sorry i burdened you with my opinion.

way to make a new member feel welcome by the way,
ill be sure to rate your threads the way they should be rated...

yeah its obvious this thread hasnt been touched in 7 months. i thought this was a forum i was just expressing my opinion. dont turn peoples words into something that your not entirely sure they mean. no wonder this thread wasnt taken seriously... i figured since i live in daytona and was LEGAL i would explain my experience riding an mb myself. i wasnt suggesting anyone break the law i was describing how i stay within the law and also avoid harrassment. im sorry for commenting on your old precious thread. figured people would like to know. and i guess ill do what the smarter of the people in this thread did and just left it alone. because sad enough 7 months later your still in the "bashing" mood. so have a nice day "sangesf" and while i legally ride in daytona beach, you can continue being a disgruntled forum member. im sorry i burdened you with my opinion.

way to make a new member feel welcome by the way,
ill be sure to rate your threads the way they should be rated...

first, of all it's not my thread
second, telling people to "ghost peddle when needed" is meant to say something entirely illegal
third, I don't care whether you can get all the way to Orlando without your license
fourth, there has been more than one person that thought they could get away with something like what you're suggesting and were very surprised when they got pulled over and got into trouble and then said I was correct in describing the laws.

Do what you want, get away with what you can while you can, bub be forewarned eventually if you continue to do something wrong, you will get caught.

I don't post on this thread or any other thread concerning Florida to see my typing skills, I post to make people aware of the laws of the state of Florida and to follow them.

Good luck and stop trolling.

P.S. Having an opinion is one thing, trying to suggest that your "opinion" should be used an an excuse for others to use as a reason for breaking the law is another. State facts or give examples of places and/or people that you can go to or talk to, to facilitate changes.

How fast can I go?

After reading this thread and several pages of FL law websites, I still have questions.

My situation:
* I have a class E driver license.
* I try to follow the letter AND spirit of the law.
* I will attempt to register my MB and get a statement if they say it's not needed (as was argued earlier in this thread).

My questions are, how fast can I legally go on
A.) Electric?
B.) Gas?

The speed limit of the road I'd travel is 45MPH.

* Can I go up to the speed limit?
* Or 20MPH (electric)/30MPH (gas)?
* Or is the 20/30MPH limit on the motor itself, not counting my pedal assist?

It's confusing!

Last edited:
Having a class E license allows you to ride up to 30 mph, which by the way, you probably wouldn't want to go faster than anyways on a bicycle... After that if you want to go faster, I would suggest getting a motorcycle license and motorcycle.

They won't register it, because it doesn't have a VIN.. (along with other reasons)

(which is the same reason they won't let me add LoJack to my MB)

The speed limitations are maximum CAPABLE...
meaning that it's not capable to be able to be driven more than 30mph on flat level ground... The law says nothing about wind or anything else..
The capable part is the tricky part... On my electric bike I've added a cycle analyst that limits my maximum speed electrically.
On an ICE (gas) engine I dont know of any way of limiting speed. But I'm guessing that's what the 2hp limit is for...

Thanks for the input!

"Capable"... so if I lose a bunch of weight, shave my legs, have a double espresso for breakfast, add a wind shield and am riding ducked down in a hurricane... and am clocked going 45MPH... not illegal?

Second question: Link me to your cycle analyst please. I see your pics but want to learn more about this device.

Thanks for the input!

"Capable"... so if I lose a bunch of weight, shave my legs, have a double espresso for breakfast, add a wind shield and am riding ducked down in a hurricane... and am clocked going 45MPH... not illegal?

Second question: Link me to your cycle analyst please. I see your pics but want to learn more about this device.

Flat level ground, no wind....

I was clocked doing 32mph down a hill... Then showed him that I couldn't go above 20...

Look up
"Cycle Analyst - SA(Stand Alone)"
on eBay...
They cost about $150

P.S. The pics are about a year old, I've changed it a bit (added stuff) and am changing it around one more time in two months when I get my new batteries and other stuff.

Since you have a class E license, you can go up to 30 mph period...

Whether your using motor only or pedal+motor..
If you can pedal alone and go faster than 30, more power to ya... FYI... I don't know of many people who can peddle 30mph on a single speed bike.
What kind of bike do you have? Or are you thinking of buying one?
Electric or gas?
I don't know of any peddle assist gas engine bicycles.

If your using peddle assist (on an electric bike) it's considered using a motor.

Well that answers another question.. no pedal-assist gas engine bikes. I was thinking of adding a 49cc to a mid-priced mountain bike I bought off a friend (don't know the make/model), but I also want to get SOME exercise in my busy day.

So when you have a chain/belt (i.e. not friction) gas motor it takes over propulsion and you can't pedal to make it go even faster?

Back