Florida Motorcycle Laws and Definitions

bees in my bonnet -- goat house on wheels !!!

has not been mentioned in traffic statutes, so therefore they don't apply, is deluding himself and must have bees in his bonnet.

I was going to take our goat house with the goats inside
add a motor and wheels -- go for some rides together -- mountain thing
couldn't find anyTHING in the dmv book stating that I couldn't !!!!!

ride that goat house on wheels THING

We had a goat as a kids, a real ornery one,he would sneak up on you and butt you.We used to try and stick big potatoes on his horns.He was supposed to pull a goat cart,that rarely happened.Once he got drunk on fermented apples,that seemed to mellow him, but he couldn't walk properly any more.The funniest sight to behold.

I was going to take our goat house with the goats inside
add a motor and wheels -- go for some rides together -- mountain thing
couldn't find anyTHING in the dmv book stating that I couldn't !!!!!

ride that goat house on wheels THING

Depends on the Type of Motor and how many wheels and whether you need a license for that type of motor and number of wheels

:)

That is correct because if you read the opinion of the City Attorney of Daytona , he finds that no local municipality can make any restriction to exclude a motorized bicycle in the state of Florida as he finds that was the intention of the state legislature in formulating the law when written and passed.

That is correct because if you read the opinion of the City Attorney of Daytona , he finds that no local municipality can make any restriction to exclude a motorized bicycle in the state of Florida as he finds that was the intention of the state legislature in formulating the law when written and passed.

Any time you add gas to a bicycle, it's description changes to a moped.

Let's take a look....
State law

Number: AGO 77-84

Subject: Uniform Traffic Control Act, municipalities
J. T. Frankenberger
City Attorney

On consideration of the foregoing it is clear that the Legislature intended, by its comprehensive action in enacting Ch. 76-286, Laws of Florida, classifying motor-propelled bicycles or 'mopeds' as bicycles and determining how they were to be regulated on a uniform state-wide basis, to require that moped operators or riders be treated as bicycle operators or riders uniformly throughout the state and in all the municipalities therein. The Legislature by enactment of Ch. 316, as amended aforesaid, and by making it unlawful to enact, and prohibiting the enactment or enforcement of, any traffic ordinances in conflict therewith has effectively preempted the regulation of bicycle/mopeds to the state. Furthermore, because moped operators had, prior to such action, been required to wear the same protective devices as other motorcycle riders according to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, the reclassifying of mopeds as bicycles clearly demonstrates that the Legislature intended that moped riders be relieved of the requirements of wearing such protective devices throughout the state.

The Legislature defines a moped as a bicycle in s. 316.003, F. S., and changed the definition of 'bicycle,' 'motorcycle,' and 'motor-driven cycles' and excludes motor-propelled bicycles or 'mopeds' from the definition of 'motor vehicle,' 'motor-driver cycles,' and 'vehicle' by Ch. 76-286, Laws of Florida, as reference to the title thereof clearly discloses, and provides regulations for such motor-propelled bicycles or 'mopeds' in s. 316.111, F. S. In the latter section the Legislature provided special regulations in subsections (14) and (15) applicable only to the operation of
bicycle/mopeds. More

On consideration of the foregoing it is clear that the Legislature intended, by its comprehensive action in enacting Ch. 76-286, Laws of Florida, classifying motor-propelled bicycles or 'mopeds' as bicycles and determining how they were to be regulated on a uniform state-wide basis, to require that moped operators or riders be treated as bicycle operators or riders uniformly throughout the state and in all the
municipalities therein.
Debra
Floyd
Daytona Beach Police

What I've quoted above (and is being used for miss-direction from those who wish to use a gas powered bicycle (moped) without a Drivers License) was from 1977.... Over 30 years ago.

FS 316.111 that was used in that argument no longer exists and has been replaced/amended by FS 316.003 and the pertinent portion changes the description of a bicycle with an under 50cc gas motor to the definition of a Moped. And hence, since you need a DL to ride a Moped, you need one for a gas bicycle too.

Whether a specific municipality wishes to ignore that, that is that municipalities choice and they are allowed to make laws specific to them as long as it is not specifically dis-allowed somewhere else by State or Federal laws. (i.e. Daytona allows people to ride mopeds without Driver License.)

If you do not have a drivers license and want a motorized bike build one with a large motor on it paint it black and dark grey,take the lights and reflectors off and ride it at night.

man... this is coming from someone who rides an mb from daytona beach, fl to orlando fl once a week, i must force myself to ignore most of what i read here, because thus far ive yet to be harrassed or asked to show my non-existant license or registration... (knock on wood) i follow all rules and laws for any other BICYCLIST (hand signals, obeying traffic signs, and sticking to the right side of the road or rightmost side of the left turn lane if turning) the way i see it: if i present myself as a bicycle they will percieve me as a bicycle. if i present myself as a motorcycle or moped and get it the way of traffic like most mopeds, then they will percieve me as a moped. so in reality, they WILL see you, there is no hiding from them (police) so my advice to an MBer would be not to act like a motorcycle or moped. act like a bicycle. and you will be seen and treated like one....

more advice:
relax
ghost pedal when needed
never zoom past cars stopped at lights or traffic jams
respect and stay out of the way of motorists
wear eye protection (police officers biggest issue here)
and... RIDE THAT THING!!!

gah...

Last edited:
Back