Frustrated in New Orleans

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MarkMayhew, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MarkMayhew

MarkMayhew New Member

I'm new, I bought a Trek Classic Cruiser to put an engine on, a Grubee Skyhawk GT-5, and it didn't even come close to fitting, not w/out drilling at least one hole in the frame of the bike.
    So now I'm thinking of buying a Huffy Cranbrook, does anyone know if the engine will fit on it, w/out drilling and/or welding.

2. MarkMayhew

MarkMayhew New Member

Are there *any* bikes that an engine can be installed on...

without cutting/drilling/welding? I bought an engine, a Grubee Skyhawk GT-5, and I'd like to find a bike that it will simply fit on to, I'm a layperson and I would like to not end up buying more bikes than I already have (a Trek Classic Cruiser that the engine won't fit, not w/out modifying the frame of the bike)
  3. MarkMayhew

MarkMayhew New Member

reading thru discussions here, there appears to be issues installing an engine on a Huffy Cranbrook....I'm running out of time and patience trying to find a bike that the engine can simply be put on to, i.e. "plug and play"
  4. seacrh cranbrook on this forum

yes they fit . Bolt On...... No. The front down tube is to wide for the studs on the front. You can buy a mount from lots of venders to fit the frame of a Cranbrook. This mount makes the build Bolt-On.
  5. I cut section out of the frame on my bike. And it has some good sized dents from my trusty hammer.
  6. MarkMayhew

MarkMayhew New Member

u must have missed the part where I said "I'm not trying to cut/drill/weld"...I'm looking for a "plug and play" deal here, there must be such an animal, somewhere
  7. MarkMayhew

MarkMayhew New Member

that's beautiful...

did you use a blow-torch to cut out a section of your bike?
  8. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

If you are going to look for a bike that your engine will "plug and play" may I suggest that you take a piece of cardboard, cut into a triangle with one of the angles 75 degrees. On that apex, measure up 3-4 inches on the left side and 2-3 inches on the right and cut that section off. Now use that as a template on frames you look at. My cruiser accommodates a engine just fine, but a modified front mount is needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2010
  9. wide frame front mount

If you get this front mount it bolt to engine. Then you bolt it to the cranbrook. No cuting welding or drilling.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  10. MarkMayhew

MarkMayhew New Member

so I'm supposed to walk around with a piece of cardboard in one hand , and a tape measure in the other, iso a bike that will fit? surely there must be a better way
  11. Al.Fisherman

No tape measure needed.... just do what you want to do since you must have a better way. Sorry I even suggested anything to you.
  12. RedBaronX

RedBaronX Member

you wanted something simple... sounds like a danged simple idea to me.
  13. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

Reading your introductory post, there seems to be an issue with you posting the correct info in the correct forum.
    I did not even see a hello.
  14. motorpsycho

motorpsycho Active Member

first of all, NONE of these engines kits are "plug & play".
    you will have to modify something somewhere along the line to make everything work / fit.
    if you are not able to understand any of this, don't waste your time buying an engine kit, because you will be one of those guys that complains that it's a peice of junk when it ends up not fitting or working right.
    a good installation, and correct installation is 50% of having a GOOD motorized bike.
  15. Al.Fisherman

Stan, I think HE has a issue with himself..... Members will remember him, I know I will. Hope he knows how to use the search function, as that is all the help he'll get from me with his attitude.
  16. oologah

oologah Banned

I suggest getting a friend to help, and learn some basic mechanic skills. You'll need those skills to keep you bike in running order. These bikes don't just break down, they will fall apart if you don't know what your doing.
  17. poo poo pipe

poo poo pipe New Member

Wanting it right now ,With limited skills... not a good mix, read,read,and read some more.Patience grasshopper.
  18. Reb

Reb New Member

yeah, I agree... in order to get your bike running you're gonna have to be ready to modify all sorts of things... in order to get mine running right I have a chopped air filter, tweaked carb mount, longer replacement bolts in a bunch of engine mounts, exhaust mod, tensioner shims, etc, not to mention the host of other custom touches that make my bike one of a kind and a joy to ride. Owning a motorized bike is all about making it work for you, and continually keeping your ride in top shape- this requires time, energy, commitment, and, above all, creativity out the whazoo... It's best to make up your mind to enjoy the process from the start or it'll probably just drive you crazy!
  19. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

That cardboard template is a GREAT idea!:idea:

It beats walking around with the engine itself, lol.

And I'm sure I'm not the ONLY guy who did that, lol.:whistling:
  20. MarkMayhew

MarkMayhew New Member

it's simple? walk around, measuring, hoping to find a bike that will even remotely fit...then, *if* you find one, *then* you have to order a mount, and wait, and a few weeks later, when it arrives, you can (hopefully) proceed to the next stage (which will, no doubt, require ordering more parts, waiting, etc etc)....face it, installing a gas engine on a bicycle isn't for laypeople, it's something that only a "gearhead" should even attempt