Fuel Tank Vacume

How big is that tank? I am looking for the biggest tank I can safely mount on the frame.

it is 1.8 gallons.

I got it on eBay for about $85 shipped. This is the very same one that I got from the very same dealer: Fat Whizzer Tank I mounted it with U bolts from the hardware store, and since Whizzers are essentially commercially built MBs, this tank is probably easier to mount than a motorcycle tank. I've got more photos in my profile of how it looks on a bike.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Here are a few pics of the cap. As you can see the seal is in good condition, the springs work as well. There are 4 holes in the bottom and 2 on the sides. My idea was to fill all the holes with RTV and then drill a hose to accommodate a 8-10 inch piece of fuel line to act as the vent and hopefully allow more fuel. My rides are roughly 20 miles each way and I want to be able to make a round trip w/o smelling like an oily rag. One other solution I had thought of was RTVing the underside of the seal, as right now the seal sits above the tank mouth. Would putting say 1/2 inch or 1 inch of RTV under the seal pushing the seal further down the throat fix the cap's leaking problem...:whistle: Right now I can fill up 1/3 and carry a handy liter of mixed petrol in a gatorade bottle.

I wouldn't recommend using RTV sealant. It's bound to peel away, ending up in the tank, filter and carb. I'd try TWO gas cap gaskets.

My HT fuel tank mounts on a rear rack and has a locking gas cap. It vents thru the keyhole. Apparently, there must be a LOT of wind swirling behind me, because the hinged cover that's over the keyhole always ends up in the upringht open position. Gas ALWAYS leaks from the keyhole, even when I'm pushing my bike up a flight of stairs.

I thinks what's needed besides the cap's vent hole is an anti-sloshing baffle right below the cap.:unsure:

Besides drilling the cap, maybe a short length of hose AND a one-way valve OR a filter from the saddle tank of a Mits/Tanaka/Subaru engine would keep dirt from entering the tank. :unsure:

Back