full staton or homebuilt

I have been considering something along the lines of kerf's where there are two drive sprockets, and one driven sprocket, but I notice that staton sells two speed freewheels that seem to go on the wheel. Might be worth considering...

Please tell me more about that exploding hub,was it an internally geared one?,what make ?.was it driven from the pedals?.What transpired ? Where can I find more info about that GP 460 engine.Where did you get it from ?

It was a SRAM something or other three speed internally geared hub. After about three months riding every day with my GEBE (using a tanaka pf3300 at the time), the thing started making all kinds of screeching noise, and locking up.

You can get the GP460 at davesmotors...

SRAM (Sachs) was not the best hub around,all these hubs needed REGULAR weekly lubrication if you rode a lot. You were hearing the itty-bitty gears in there grinding themselves into abrasive dust.The Shimano hubs are the best in my opinion,they have a special lubricant.The SA hub had weaknesses too,that the British did nothing about.They initially do a brilliant job on something or other, pushing the envelope, and then proceed go into a coma for a few decades or more,during which they are put out of business.

Yeah, and after ten miles of forcing the thing to spin, they ended up turning sideways, scoring the housing, etc... It looked like a bomb went off in there. Definately I am not going to subject another one of these things to 50+ mph sprints from time to time... I gotta say though, mph is pretty intimidating to me, even though the bike handles like a dream at that and faster though.

Back