Greetings from Sydney

Keep in mind that he is in Australia where these gasoline motorised bikes of ours are basically illegal to ride on any public byways or highways.
Plus he is also living in the big city of Sydney where he is sure to get caught riding it...Just saying.
Really? I never thought of that.
Our forum as well as its owner/operator/administrator are all actually based in Queensland, Australia...lol...This is how I know all this...lol.
This will explain more in detail of Australian laws regarding our type of motorised bikes.

This is what IS legal in Australia, but with certain requirements that must be met.

These things are in a grey area pretty much everywhere.

Technically in FL anything over 50cc is a motorcycle that needs to be registered, insured and made street legal.
Under 50cc it's a Moped and still needs to be made street legal.

I'm riding my "Motorcycle" on bike lanes, Im breaking the law, but I know here if I'm apprehended I'll most likely get a warning and slap on the wrist, then I'll go through the process to be legal.

Other places, they may confiscate your bike and give you a mark on your record.

You kinda need to know your justice system to know how to proceed, and if course, follow the rules of the road.

Ideally, these things would be at home in rural areas.

These things are in a grey area pretty much everywhere.
According to Anton, there is NO grey area regarding internal combustion engine, motorised bicycles in Australia, they are totally illegal to have except off road private property areas which are found usually only in rural areas, they are NOT allowed on the roadways of Australia in any way, shape, or form.

According to Anton, there is NO grey area regarding internal combustion engine, motorised bicycles in Australia, they are totally illegal to have except off road private property areas which are found usually only in rural areas, they are NOT allowed on the roadways of Australia in any way, shape, or form.
I can remember years ago when Australia was pretty tolerant of motorized bicycles. Then a few irresponsible reckless riders became an annoyance. Worst yet often they made videos of their reckless behavior and posted them on the public media. It wasn't long before laws got passed completely banning self-built motorized bicycles from the public roadways in Australia.

Sadly, this same thing has happened in a few states in the USA. This is why others and I come down so hard on riders who roll through STOP signs/red lights, ride on sidewalks using engine/motor power etc. Videos can be very enjoyable, it's up to us to show the world most MB riders are responsible, law abiding, and safe vehicle operators. These are the kind of videos we should be posting on the public media.

Ok, no problem. Do I need another one? Which one?
Looks like Damien answered your question. Most people put motors on cruiser style bikes.

People put motors on mountain bikes, road bikes and everything in between. Most like to use steel frames for the strength, flexibility and weld-ability of steel. Also aluminum frames have been know to dramatically fail without warning. ( I have two aluminum mountain bikes I put motors on before I knew better, They are fine so far.)

An old school road bike would be the easiest style of frame to put a motor on IMO. The China Girl motors are designed to fit in the old school frames. Using different style of frames increases the complexity of mounting the motor and having the required clearances for the drive chain to work properly.

Realistically, mounting the motor is the easy part. Getting the drive chain to line up and getting some decent disc brakes are what can take some time.

Attachments

• 29erLeft.jpg
    29erLeft.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 100ccMockUp.jpg
    100ccMockUp.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 27.5Right.jpg
    27.5Right.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 20
It's definitely a no-go in Australia, on road or off-road (unless its private property) even fire trails, national and state parks will get you a big fine, especially around Sydney. We used to go trail bike riding down at Menai, up near Hornsby and further up at the wattagans and we'd regularly get pulled up by the police on their bikes and check our VINs/rego/licensing etc.

You might have better luck at lesser known tracks and trails but all it takes is for one person to make a complaint. If they're going by the book, you'll get done for unlicensed, uninsured, unregistered, unroadworthy. Pretty much exactly the same as if you were hooning around on an unregistered dirt bike.

C'mon Australia, you used to be the cool one.

Back