Has anyone tried the SRAM Dual Drive alongside The SBP Shift Kit?

I don't mean to tick anyone off here, especially senior members of this forum. but i have never seen anything fail because it had been lubed frequently. I have seen things fail when they stop becoming lubed regularly and dirt and other contaminates get into them and start grinding the **** out of them. or they destroy themselves over a lack of lubrication.

I apologize if my post wasn't clear and edited to reflect that.
The point was of course to indeed suggest the implied, increased wear and tear from consistant higher speeds would require the necessary attention to lubrication.

Last edited:
I apologize myself. I should have been a little clearer from the start. I was just thinking that the dual drive would replace the chain ring, sprockets and derailleur that would have to go when installing the shift kit. And would stop the head scratching over what size of sprockets to use on the front freewheel. Since the hub already has 3 internal gears to choose from. I was also looking for an alternative to the nuvinci hub as i always have to be different from the masses. Torque and lubrication issues were never a huge consideration when i saw pictures of the hub being taken apart. The hub looks internally very strong and well designed.

Hi Happy Valley,

I think you're missing the point that i was trying to make regarding the produced torque applied to the SRAM Dual Drive hub.

Yes, an internal combustion engine does not produce a lot of torque compared to a 200lb cyclist standing on the pedals, "but", a 200lb cyclist does not produce high frequency vibration that the hub must endure.

I should have been more clear about my concerns.

Still, a 2 horsepower engine would be able to produce significant torque at maximum power output through the reduction gearing i've outlined in my post, coupled with a high level of vibration that's hammering away at the planetary gear sets.

Am i wrong in my opinion or have i rationalised the subject incorrectly?
If SRAM would warranty their Dual Drive hub in a motorised application, it would be on my bike tomorrow.

Fabian

Hello Fabian

It's doubtful SRAM would warranty it when used in this application. They don't even warranty it if is used in rickshaws or trikes. Although i've read about many people using them in those applications and not having any trouble with them whatsoever. I even read about a trike that had a total of 81 gears using the Dual Drive.

Back