Hello From Dallas, TX

sorry

hi pepper
yes we had the same frustrations, however my hubby is more mechanically inclined than me..so at least he tears his hairs out for both our bikes...i have no information on your cycle, but my suggestion to you is find a handy man that knows small engines and have someone help you while reading...first tell me is it a 2 stroke or 4? is it mounted on the back as in a rack mount or on the frame? then i maybe can direct you to some relevant threads...dont cry honey, someone will be able to help i am sure!http://video.aol.com/video-detail/dimension-edge-motorized-bicycle-engine/1562869871
i found this video perhaps you should return it and get a gebe here:http://www.bikeengines.com/ no matter what there will be assembly required...http://www.bikemotor.com/template.htmldid you get one like this? let us know with a link to which one you got...that 15%restocking fee sounds bad...good luck hun

Last edited by a moderator:
hi pepper
yes we had the same frustrations, however my hubby is more mechanically inclined than me..so at least he tears his hairs out for both our bikes...i have no information on your cycle, but my suggestion to you is find a handy man that knows small engines and have someone help you while reading...first tell me is it a 2 stroke or 4? is it mounted on the back as in a rack mount or on the frame? then i maybe can direct you to some relevant threads...dont cry honey, someone will be able to help i am sure!http://video.aol.com/video-detail/dimension-edge-motorized-bicycle-engine/1562869871
i found this video perhaps you should return it and get a gebe here:http://www.bikeengines.com/ no matter what there will be assembly required...http://www.bikemotor.com/template.htmldid you get one like this? let us know with a link to which one you got...that 15%restocking fee sounds bad...good luck hun

Hi Quay:

Hey, tearing my hair out sounds good...laugh. Unless your hubby wants to tear some out for me.

I'll check out the video link after I send this.

The bike is one from bikemotor.com (Dimension Edge) and it is a 4 stroke, rack mount friction drive. The bike is a Dahon, folding bike with quick release wheels. Returning it is a BIG problem, shipping cost $100 to get here, if I had to pay that to get it back to them I'd be out $200 in shipping alone, plus that 15% restocking fee. I'm not ready to quit yet.

I had thought I was buying something "all ready to go". I was told I'd have to straighten the handle bar, put on a pedal and put the motor on with 4 bolts.

As it is now it does not have the seat or post, no pedals, no handlebar, appears like the front brakes are not attached, the front wheel is out, I only received one of the two upgraded tires that I ordered, the speedometer/odometer has all the hardware attached but the unit is MIA, one reflector is broken and the light kit I ordered will be going back.

When I read through the entire Dahon booklet about what needs to be adjusted before your first ride... well, let me put it another way.

The bike has a 5 year waranty (frame, handlepost and rigid fork) that can be updated to a lifetime warranty if the bike is adjusted and tuned by a professional mechanic before the bike is ridden. The warranty card is extensive with check lists of what has to be done including a signed test drive and then needs the dealer stamp, signature and the signature of the owner. There is even a service and maintenance schedule. Not sure if I should be worrying about these things from the warranty standpoint since putting an engine on it may void the warranty anyway????

But, in reading all of that, it does make me want to have this bike in sound condition as a regular bike BEFORE turning on the motor. I made the assumption that the bike would have all of these things done when I purchased it as assembled (versus a kit).

I've spent a few more hours reading here, reading through the materials that I got with the bike and tring to look at the bike some more.

One thing I've realized is that there are two separate issues here. First, the bike needs put together properly and that is all the farther along I am.

Second is the engine part, which I actually think will be fairly straightforward, as I think running it will be. I do have a friend who is willing to come over and help with the engine part since he has small engine experience. But like I said, I really don't think that is the issue right now.

I have an email out to DE, but after spending over an hour talking on the phone with someone from this board (thanks GreenRed) I'm not sure I have enough knowledge to be talked through this. I'm starting to think I need to find a bike shop that knows this bike (preferably) and figure out some way to get it there and have the bike adjusted and built and explained to me. Once I feel comfortable with the bike then I can move on to the motored part.

I sure didn't have these problems or concerns with the cheap Walmart bike I just bought. But then that bike wasn't in pieces and didn't have a throttle, kill switch engine mount and other stuff getting in the way.

I appreciate all the positive encouragement and suggestions. This will get worked out.

Hugs to all:

Pepper

Quay:

I watched the video. Let me say this, I had a bunch of red flags come up while I was ordering the bike so I got to a point where I had decided to cancel the order and keep reading and looking at other options. But when I talked to DE I felt like it was going to be a real hassle to get out of it and I felt like some of my questions had been answered so I decided to go ahead with the order.

I wonder if I should have trusted my gut feelings?

However, I also am hoping that this situation is salvageble. I think the Dahon is a good bike (once I get it together to my satisfaction) and I do think the Honda engine I bought is good (though I'm still wondering what made that particular engine cost $699). If the friction drive turns out to be carp (love that expression...laugh), then I'll go to something else.

I haven't posted what has gone on since I made my introduction because I didn't want to be throwing in a negative experience right off the bat, plus, with little knowledge of motored bikes I think it would be easy to have unrealistic expectations, so I was doing a wait and see till I got the bike.... previous post tells where I am now...sigh.

I will keep you all posted, good or bad.

Pepper

Hi Pepper,
glad to see you are going to take the bull by the horns! do me a favor and start a new thread in picture gallery, take some photos of this animal in all it glory and post it with your comentary, then i will move the relevant posts from the intro into your "new build thread" cuz good or bad the public needs to know...look at this thread: it was my first newbie disaster then you won't feel alone here it's a long thread too lol: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5145 i will edit this out later as it is already in the vendor area...so keep the positive wheels turning and i am glad you will have some help...the bike shop should heklp you get the thing just to ride it safely and then by motorizing it i think the warrenty will be nullified as they do vibrate...allot! will chat more when this gets moved...have a good day hun...
ciao

Hey IBFC,
CALM DOWN!!!!!!!
THe bike was sent knocked down for freight cost. IF you do not feel confident in attaching everything, go down to Wally world and find out who puts their bikes together. They come to Wally world just like yours came to you. I bet it is someone in the store or local who will put the thing together and adjust everything for 20 bucks or so.
I bought my DE kit of Ebay and the first one did not have instructions. Once you get the bike together and lay the thing on the rear tire, it will start to make sense. I gather you got the big Honda. While I have not purchaed a kit from DE I have bought parts from them and their customer service has been really good. If you have two different tires, you want the one with the smooth profile on the back for the drive wheel.
Get the bike assembeled. Look at a bike and you should figure out where the pieces and parts go.
When you get the bike assembeled and the drive unit on it is important to have no more than 1/8 inch cleareance between the engine drive roller and the rear tire. Operate the leaver a few times and check it. After the inital run check it again. The tire should just clear the roller when lifted off the tire.
You may be having second thoughts, but put them where the sun dont shine. You are gonna do this.

Well grr, first of all, I feel terrible that you are havin trouble getting all this together. It is usually pretty hard to pack most bikes in small enough packages for UPS or DHL to pickup. If you are still having trouble getting it together please take a few pictures of the problem areas and email them to Bike@imt.net or post them here. Then contact Dimension Edge(800 652 8495 anytime from 10-5) and ask for Mac, that is me. i should be able to help you get her all up and running, and i am very confident once you take your first ride you will feel much better about the kit you have.

Typically it is worth having all the bikes freighted alternate shipped in a box, unless they are of the 20 inch folders. That way the bike is fully assembled with everything on the bike, fully tuned with the motor attached. The bikes also get a 1-2 mile test ride to make sure the engine, bike and mounting hardware are in good order(the motors are still tested on bikes that are boxed but the bikes themselves normally don't get run through). I understand why many people don't do it, with 200-300 dollar fees for freight. But more often then not it is worth it for peace of mind when received.

Again i am sorry your having trouble, it can be confusing to put some bikes together. hopefully we can get you out on the road quickly.

Yer not supposed to chew and walk at the same time says the USMC.
Twas nice reading Your post Lady..:)
BTW Ive a few bikes with engines on them if Ya want to ride one,Im im Dallas by Mesquite.

Back