Hello, Moped Community!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by cooper.simmons, Jun 22, 2009.

1. cooper.simmons

cooper.simmons New Member

Hi all,

This is my first post.

I ride a whizzer (i dont know the exact model) which i think is a replica of the 50s style. It has the white wall tires and a 150cc engine.

I know this is introduce yourself but I have a problem! I cant seem to get the belt tension just right so the clutch belt slips how its supposed to but the rear belt grabs. When I go up a steep hill, my speed reduces to less than half and a horrible screeching noise happens. Im forced to pedal this monstrocity of a bike just so it will (what I feel) continue to go.

I have adjusted the belt before so it takes me up a hill at 30-40 mph but then when im stopped at a light or stop sign, my clutch is much too tight and it stalls.

Iv played with both of the engine adjust bolts and have finally decided that I want one that is less of a tinkerer's toy and more of a serious vehicle reaching speeds of 40 mph and not having to worry about the belt slipping.

Sadly, my budget is another problem;especially with how important aesthetics are to me as well.

In conclusion, my question to you is:

Should i continue to tinker with the whizzer and be content with having to pedal after a stop or can someone recommend an old school looking 50cc moped (pref with picture) that can reach 40 mph WITHOUT PEDALS and is reliable all under a budget of about $1000 dollars?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments and suggestions!

-Cooper

2. eastwoodo4

eastwoodo4 Member

moped community?u might want to check the name of this forum again.maybe your looking for moped nation?
    plenty here with whizzers but never heard them call one a moped.not here anyways.welcome.

3. Pablo

Pablo Motored Bikes Sponsor

Mopeds???

And you want no pedals.

0-2

WELCOME!!! Welcome to learn!:grin5:

4. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

I believe the Whizzer Ambassador has no pedals and looks great. There are still a few on EBay.

5. RusticoRay

RusticoRay Member

Hey copper.simmons, You could check out the whizzer section many usefull pages and very knowledgeable people. Hal the Elder just installed a manual clutch for his whizzer that came with the auto clutch, swears by his new setup. I dont have a manual clutch but there should be a happy spot in the tension adjustment. I recently picked up a t and g scooter for 400.00. It stands for twist and go or a complete chinese copy of a vespa. Will do 40mph and has no pedals. In Mass. its reg. as a moped its under 50cc but new ones have to say moped on the paper work or its a scooter and more money to reg. and insure.

6. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

Yow!....this is the first time I've heard these called mopeds. Seems like it touched a nerve or two, didn't it?

I suppose you could sell the Whizzer and pick up a nice scooter that's maybe only a couple of years old. You could find something that's very capable in the $1000 range. But Whizzer buyers are a bit more rare than scooter buyers. So that could be a small bit of trouble.

But before you do, why don't you consider becoming a bike tinkerer like most of us? One of the reasons we like it is that it makes our ride just a bit more personal. Sort of like a pet (or maybe even part of the family). Maybe it's not for everyone, but you ought to consider it just a bit.

Good luck.