Help with a gas issue

Jose Morales

Local time
9:46 AM
Hey everyone, I finished building my first motorized bike, an 80cc 2 stroke, but I haven't been able to get it started. I doesn't seem like I'm getting an fuel to the carb, and if so, very little. At first, I shorten the fuel line because it had way to much slack and thought that may have been the issue, but still nothing. I can't seem to get enough elevation for the fuel to flow from the gas tank to the carb, what should I do?

I don't think it is the fuel flow issue. You can check by unscrewing the small + screw at the bottom of your carb. Note, fuel will come out so make sure you are outside or have something to catch the fuel. I have two gas tanks and the one on the rear rack literally has about 1 inch of elevation. It can be many things but I feel the most common issue is the clutch is not set correctly and the engine is not engaged when it is in the open position. Post a picture of the fuel line tank setup to show the forum.

Post a pic of your setup or you'll just get conjecture and specuation.
And as a side note being a nOObie, there is no such thing as an 80cc 2-stroke, they are 66cc and it's best to refer to them that way or you will sound silly to the rest of us ;-}

More description please? does it make any sounds when you let out the clutch, does it try to start, do you have any pictures of the setup?

Often on a new build there is, for lack of a better description a vacuum lock in the line blocking fuel flow. the tickler (small button next to idle screw) when pushed will allow air to escape the fuel bowl, and fuel to enter. Sometimes it helps to shake the bike a little while doing this. I know it sounds like screw ball advice, but give it a try. If it don't work we'll go from there.

I recently had a similar issue, but it was due to my fuel mix being too lean. Try moving the clip on your carb's jet needle down a notch or two (only adjust one notch at a time and test to see how it works).
I moved mine one notch down, and went from not starting at all, to starting immediately.

Back