How does that work?

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by Street Ryderz, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Street Ryderz

Street Ryderz Active Member

How can these jugs be re-chromed or plated like some suggest on here!Doesn't the liner have to be removed from the casting?

2. butre

butre Well-Known Member

they really need to be sent off to be done. look for a company that does nikasil plating.

you won't be able to do any better at home than they can do in the chinese factories. it takes some pricy equipment to get it right.

I would assume they use some sort of chemical stripper to get the existing chrome off. the only thing I know of that readily eats chrome is muriatic acid, and that turns into a terribly toxic mixture that you don't want to have to dispose of. it'll eat your plumbing so it can't go down the sink, and it'll kill damn near everything that it ends up on so no dumping it in the garden. best to leave that kind of stuff to the people that handle the sh*t every day

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  3. Street Ryderz

Yea ok I dont want to do it at home!but like I said doesn't the liner have to be removed?

4. butre

butre Well-Known Member

there's no iron liner in a china girl like there is in most engines. chrome plating is a more than sufficient wear surface if done properly, but good luck getting decent chrome out of china.

5. butre

butre Well-Known Member

one more thing to note it's probably plated copper > nickel > chrome since chrome doesn't easily adhere to aluminum, and the only way to get that nickel off is cyanide. not something you want to be messing with.

6. Street Ryderz

Ok thanks but the question is HOW can this process be done and yes there is a steel liner in these have you not ported one? it not just aluminum being cut out!

7. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

there is no steel liner in most of them. I can't speak for all of them but I highly doubt what you are saying.
    Show me a photo of the cylinder at its base which will make it plain to see if there is a steel liner or not.

8. Street Ryderz

Ok so how do you explain the different materials at inside edge of intake port and the line atop of transfer and different alignments of the ports and transfers with lips!

Attached Files:

9. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

i have never come across one with a liner either , just chrome on alu . you could probably sandblast it off but need a special nozzle for blasting inside pipes , though im sure anywhere that plates them will be able to tell you.
    *edit* that looks like just normal to me but if its sleeved the sleeve should be magnetic right?

10. Street Ryderz

Ok maybe its just weird casting.I don't care about removing chrome or nickle thats not the query how can it be re chromed or plated especially if it's all one piece!

11. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

they strip the chrome off and then re-chrome it. simple.

>"Ok so how do you explain the different materials at inside edge of intake port"
    maybe you are referring to the chrome or maybe a casting flaw but I have never heard of any of these cylinders as having an iron sleeve.
    if it has a sleeve then a magnet will stick to it. Do that test and report back.

12. Street Ryderz

jag and butre your right no steel magnet don't stick!so now how is it simple the local machine shop that does rechrome or nikisal told me to bring just the sleave when I told him that it was one piece he laughed and told me they can't do it,so I am asking how is it done then!

13. zippinaround

here is an interesting page about the topic http://kenoconnorracing.com/Cylinder plating VS Cylinder Sleeves.html

14. butre

butre Well-Known Member

find a better machine shop. sleeved cylinders don't need plating.

15. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

local machine shops don't strip and replate cylinders. Only a few shops in all the US have the means to do that.
    US Chrome is one of them.

16. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

OK, here is the skinny:
    These cylinders are chromed. A very thin flash of chrome over the bare aluminum.
    This is a very inexpensive process when done in mass production. 1970s snowmobiles were often done this way.
    The advantages are 1) economical to produce, 2) cool very well, 3) long cylinder life if well cared for, filter and mixtures. 4) lightweight
    The problems are 1) can bubble or separate from the aluminum. 2) can scratch or tear

Modern motorcycles are typically nickle/silicon plated where a matrix of nickle holds a silicon wear surface.
    This has all the advantages of chrome but adheres well and wears even better.

The colour change you see is just where the chrome starts and stops.
    When porting to the edge of the chrome I "roll" the chrome edge in.
    Like deburring but I used pressure instead of a cutting tool.

I've sent cylinders off to Quebec to be replated with nickle/silicon, cost is about $250 a cylinder.
    You might get a hydraulics shop to chrome replate your cylinder at a cost of about $100 for an aluminum hydraulics cylinder.

There are no liners for our HT motors that I know of.
    There are repairable, but at a cost of $100-$250 it is not economically feasible.

Steve

17. Street Ryderz

Ok but what is the process how are they able to plate just the cylinder walls if its all one piece ?

18. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

Electro plating has an anode and a cathode. The plating ions move between the two by the shortest path.
    The plating sacrifice bar is put up the center of the cylinder bore. It plates the cylinder walls and just barely into the ports.

Steve

CrazyDan likes this.
  19. Street Ryderz

Oh well that makes sense! I have never seen or had it done so I didn't know thanks brother!Im torn now between that process and say maxiscoot mxs top end witch will still be more money and the minirelli cylinder is cheaper but by the time you add up all the parts not much,I was hoping to find a shop that could do a half doz at once to try and reduce the cost of each maybe thats just wishful thinking!

20. zippinaround

i may be wrong but i'm sure i seen a vid on youtube of a guy with sleeved engines will have a snoop later when i get a chance