How does that work?

You can electro-plate it in a metal-acid solution to add extra metal back on then re-grind it.
Edit: responded drunkenly before reading all the comments and saw steve answered it. Cheers steve :D

Last edited:
i may be wrong but i'm sure i seen a vid on youtube of a guy with sleeved engines will have a snoop later when i get a chance
yeah, burt rod is his name. he custom makes those though, you'll never find a stock china girl with sleeved cylinders.

i may be wrong but i'm sure i seen a vid on youtube of a guy with sleeved engines will have a snoop later when i get a chance

Anything can be done if you have the tools, the time and the cash.
There are some guys in Miami pushing these things out to 48mm-49mm with very thin steel sleeves.
These are not production, it was more just to prove it could be done IIRC.

Steve

Anything can be done if you have the tools, the time and the cash.
There are some guys in Miami pushing these things out to 48mm-49mm with very thin steel sleeves.
These are not production, it was more just to prove it could be done IIRC.

Steve

so you just have to bore the cylinder to the right size for the sleeve , then press it in? or did he make that sleeve himself?

I'd love to see pictures and hear details!

Steve
It's for sale! Offer up! :)

15193497_1046869525439494_4591826254556548965_n.jpg

usually, "one-piece" refers to a combined cylinder and head like the average brushcutter/chainsaw uses. and not many places will touch one of them for various reasons.

theres no real challenge to installing a steel/iron liner, other than machining accurately. bore the cylinder out undersize, heat the cylinder up and drop the cylinder in. simply pressing the sleeve in isnt such a good idea as aluminium expands more than steel when hot. means it will loosen up as the engine is running. which is one of the issues with steel bores cast into aluminium cylinders.

then you have to cut the ports in, and thats usually easier to do while the liner is out and being machined rather than afterwards. so you have to line it up fairly accurately.

but, steel/iron sleeves are virtually bulletproof.

getting a cylinder nikasil replaced is bloody EXPENSIVE but there are kits available for chrome-plating. sadly, not only do you need muriatic/hydrochloric acid, but also hydroflouric acid, you have to be able to work the bare aluminium with ABSOLUTELY NO CONTACT with air, oxygen or oil... not really the type of thing to do at home.

new cylinder, $40 odd. compared to a couple of hundred.... i know which one makes economical sense to me...

Back