How often do you encounter other motored-bike riders?

How often do you encounter other motored-bike riders on the road?

• Daily or close to it (at least 3-5 times/week)

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Just about every week (1-2 times/week)

• A couple of times per month

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Infrequently -- a few times per year

Votes: 37 24.5%
  • Only at pre-arranged meetups or special events

• Does looking at yourself in the rear-view mirror count? (i.e. never)

Votes: 84 55.6%

• Total voters
I think you nailed most of them and if I had to pick one I'd say I'm the practical type. However...there are a couple others I thought about....

Those who like anything motorized....ie: motorcycles - but are afraid they'd kill themselves if they had the power to go 100mph on the highway or who like scooters but have an issue with the styling or those who have considered buying a moped but are too embarrassed to get on one in public.

Or how about....

Those who are tired of spending big money on gas and repairs for their cars and suv's?

Or...

Those who always liked riding bicycles but have gotten a tad lazy when it comes to pedaling up hills no matter what direction they turn out of their driveway?

All me :D

Another thought I've been wanting to bring up for discussion: the wildly varying demographics of people you find on motored bikes. There are a couple of archetypes (groups who can be easily characterized by a simple profile due to similarities) that I've seen involved in motorized bikes, either in person or online:

* The weathered-looking blue-collar guy with, shall we say, license and insurance issues that keep him from getting behind the wheel of a car/truck/motorcycle. Likely to be spotted riding an inexpensive low-speed/short-range electric bike around a particular city or town.

* The teen or college-age rider for whom a car is not a good option due to expense or practicality of owning/parking said car. If asked will generally admit that parent told them that a motorcycle was Right Out and that they were a Very Bad Idea. One or both parents may be mechanically inclined and supportive of building a motorized bike, or even actively involved in the build. Typically found in or near suburban and college-campus environments.

* Hard-core eco-geeks on battery-powered bikes. Given the short range of e-bikes, it takes a special kind of lazy to justify needing motor power for a local commute -- especially when most of these critters live near where they work to keep their carbon footprint down.

* Retirees with more time than pedaling power. What's better than a nice bike ride on a fall day? How about one where you don't have to power-pedal up the hill to your house with both knees twinging from arthritis/tendonitis/etc.? Not likely to be spotted doing anything excessively stupid.

* Practical types (of all ages) with an inclination to tinker with and/or build stuff on their own. Lots of tools in the garage, likely to own a proper air compressor. Subscribes to MAKE magazine. Could be found anywhere, but more common in states friendly to motorized bikes.

Have I missed anyone?

-AG

I am the tinkerer. I'll buy the kit, then tinker with it.:geek:

I have never seen another motorized bicyclist.

In a metropolis of 800,000 people...

I am alone.:unsure:

I am the tinkerer. I'll buy the kit, then tinker with it.:geek:

I have never seen another motorized bicyclist.

In a metropolis of 800,000 people...

I am alone.:unsure:

hi 5-7Heaven
I was on Kona a few months ago
saw some interesting small motor driven cycles
I really liked that open looking Honda with canvas tote bags
Honda doesn't seem to sell those here in the states

sure did miss my motorized bicycle while I was there
you have a beautiful place to ride
when I was a little guy I lived in Perl City on your island

thinking that it won't be long -- and you won't be alone
MBs would also be great for rentals

have fun as you ride that MB THING

Mountainman, there was a guy from Kona that posted here last year. I think he got clotheslined by a defective city sign there.

I drive thru Pearl City several times a week for joy rides/visit Home Depot. PC is a good place where I can open up my engines for a mile or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
i came across the first in two years the other day.he had one of those happy time motors.he was coming out of circle k and i said is that your bike?maybe it was the 12 pack in his hand i dont know but just had a feeling he was the owner.well he was so i was telling him thats the first one frame mount one ive seen up close.i was telling him about the shift kit at sickbikeparts and he said let me get your number when u get out of the store.when i came out of the store 5 minute later he had vanished.anyways thats the first in two years so i voted never.

Once about a year and a half ago.

About a year and a half ago. He was riding by at around 35 MPH. Was at my favorite watering hole in Fort Worth having a brew on the patio and one went buzzing by. Every body on the patio oood and awwwed. That was the only one I ever saw other than a prearranged meet at a bike swap meet. Where I met two other riders.

Sabrewalt

Do you ever ride the Fort Worth Bike trails ???
I live in southwest Fort Worth, and I contacted the Water Board about permission to ride the trails ( they have athority for the trails)
The guy I emailed said they were going to bring up the M/B issue at a upcoming meeting.

I guess I need to e mail him back and see if they did ...
That would be a fun ride....:geek:

I blame my neighbor. I kept thinking about an electric bike, and then my new neighbor moved in and he had one so I see it almost every day. So I built one, too.

I never meet anybody, I am so jealous of you guys that have people to ride with. There is nobody in my area, except for a guy with an electric bicycle, but he is the kind of guy that you just get that "serial killer" vibe from.

Back