how reliable are motorized bikes just got a new kit and now it wont start

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by tommylee, Sep 20, 2016.

1. tommylee

tommylee New Member

after 2 days the bike started bogging down like every second comeing back from a friends house then i foun d out that the cdi lid was hanging off the spark plug and the internals of the di lid was still on the spark plug. then put a new one on it it ran for a lil bit then started bogging down agin. and now it wont fire at all even put a new spark plug in it . eney one have eney ideas on what could be rong ?

2. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

Are you powering anything with the white wire? These engines are not like a real engine they break all the time , I think that's the reason we like them so much haha

3. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

4. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

read on the board here about checking spark & testing magneto

5. Nate888

Nate888 Member

I mean, first few months of a motorized bike project is much like making a movie... you know, hundreds of hours of work for 90 minutes of pretty sweet end result

lol no it's not quite that bad! don't be surprised if it is 6:1 on time spent on maintenance & repair to ride time, though, a lot of weeks. especially when you're first getting the hang of it

Holly likes this.
  6. Nate888

Nate888 Member

I've also had weeks where it's more like 2:1, & only upgrades or preventative maintenance & stuff. a few more things need to get done, but overall things are smoothing out on my motored bike project I think. there's a learning curve, & you'll get better at predicting what might need work & know how to get it sorted out quicker

7. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

Well, you could just get a 4-stroke...

Once a month:
    Change the Oil.
    Clean the Air Cleaner.
    Check Tightness and Lube the Chains.
    Check tire pressure.

It takes less than an hour to do.
    An hour a month is pretty reliable and why I have moved from 2-stroke to 4-stroke builds.
    I have over 30 if you want an idea of what they look like http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=4-stroke&Drive=All

When you are finally sick of 2-stroke and just need something reliable, that's the way to go, at least in my book.

Steve Best likes this.
  8. Holly

Holly Member

There have been days I've wanted to scrap the project. But now I have most of the kinks worked out and am starting to spend more time riding than fixing. I keep a small tool bag with essentials and (knock on wood) most things I can fix in a few minutes. Mostly thanks to all I've learned here.

Reliable? I hope I'm getting there but like Nate said above, tooling around with them is half the fun. Someone asked me about the bike today. When I said I built it she said, you mean you bought it and all the parts were included and you put it together. As if it was a child's toy or an ikea bedside table or something. With all the hours of work into getting the engine running and making it reliable I can say with confidence that yes I built it.

I've not owned a 4 stroke so I can't comment on that but so far I can't say I hate the 2 stroke. Keep searching the forum when you have issues and if you can't find the answer then ask. This is a great group.

9. Randall

Randall Member

I guess I lucked out. Mine has been running like a champ ever since I got it. :D

10. Randall

Randall Member

(Off Topic) KC are you going to build another black "Dream Machine"? How much do you charge? Would like to purchase one in the near future.
    http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=927

11. KCvale

Color choice is yours.

I built these 2 this month.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The green one has an SA 5-speed internal shifter and springer fork, the blue one is a 7-speed derailleur and stock triple trees.

They take a couple weeks to build and ~$1500 depending on what you want on it but I only have enough 10G parts to do 5 more this year and keeping it local, sorry.

12. Randall

Randall Member

13. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

Ha! It's not like most of us are real mechanics putting these things together you know!
    I managed to get over a thousand miles out of mine, flogging it to speeds and power over half again what they are designed for.

So how would I have done if I had gone 4-stroke?
    Well, I wouldn't have been able to double the power without buying a lot of expensive parts. I might gain 10% but not likely any more.

All the stripped, loose and broken bolt problem that happen to the 2 stroke would happen to the 4 stroke also because the root cause is operator inexperience with a wrench and hardware. Harsh? It is, but understand the reality. What about 2 stroke oil failures? If you cannot mix (or change) oil and buy the cheapest oil going, you will eventually have the same luck with a 4 stroke.

Your failures are not "bad luck" or bad design. They are the result of poor assembly and care.
    If you get KC Vale to put a 4 stroke bike together and follow his advice, it WILL last longer.
    Build it yourself and care for it as you do, and you will have the same "luck" you are having with a 2 stroke.

I guess my advice, similar to KC Vale, is to learn to do things right and look after your machine.
    If you do, your "luck" will improve greatly.

Steve

KCvale likes this.
  14. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

I a
    I agree care and attention saves the day! I'm not a mechanic but I am always diagnosing problems in passing traffic , a good ear helps a lot .

15. KCvale

Nope, not many performance enhancements for small 4-stroke engines, but gears more than make up for that, my 4-stroke shifter all do over 40mph.

Inexperience with mechanical things is certainly a major factor, but the tools on hand is just as important.
    A non-mechanical guy won't have a good tool set to start with.
    Its hard to do anything without the right good tool for the job, heck, I have ~$1500 invested in good tools so I always have the right one for the job at hand and that's the rub for DIYers, you just can't build anything right with just a cresent wrench and pliers.