I always wanted to do this

With the sick bike parts expansion chamber there is an add on muffler that is made for Briggs & Stratton motors with a fitting to place it on their pipe. I have this setup. Then it becomes a matter of engine noise itself. The gears are really noisy and the fins can resonate adding to the noise. There are threads that deal with noise reduction. I have a few ideas on that subject, too.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I think I need to invest in a BRIGHT yeloow jacket!

I agree, If you dont give them a reason to stop you... They should leave you alone.

I like the idea of cutting off the motor, before rolling up on the fuzz... a nice show of respect.

BTW- What do you guys like best? Cruisers? MTN Bikes?

Also does first frame you put a motor on, modify the attenment lengths for good or can you put an old motor on a new bike?

Just curious, in case I decide to upgrade my frame.

Thanks Again,

Launce

Both, really. New bikes with a 75 degree angle between the seat post and lower frame are ideal. Some of the city bikes out now are not good for this. If the seat post is nearly upright pass on it(wish I'd have).

Bikes like are shown in the Pirate Bikes ad are what your looking for. Steel frame and rims are definately advised(mine's aluminum frame and rims :p )

My sick bike parts sound deadners got here today. I can tell they are going to cut the noise a lot. The surfaces they go on act as little drumheads resonating to the vibrations of the motor. Add these elastomer dampners, no more resonating. Got some more silicone tubing, too. Now I can cut up some of the blue and wedge in the fins and cut that source of noise, too. :)

I'm going to use it to go to work and back... 2 miles...
I have some small hills to go up and down.

For only 2 miles and 37 years old, do you really think you need a motor? a not-very-good pedal cyclist can do that distance in 10 minutes and get some good evercise.

But then you would miss the fun of a motorized bike. I wouldn't worry about small hills. A motorized bike will handle them like they are not even there.

Launce, I tell every new guy to get a bike with a minimum of 2 "V" brakes.
There are cruiser bikes set- up that way if you want one of that style.
You absolutely need to be able to stop better than a coaster brake, because you will not be going 5 or 10 mph.

think Mountain bike

I try to stay from cruiser bikes because they usually don't have the right type of brakes. V brakes work if your going at a clip and the mountain bike bottom bracket is wide enough so that the engine can fit between the crank. I take the small and big chainring off my crank because I don't need them anymore.

Usually the frame angles of a mountain bike are fairly shallow and stable. The bike I have now had two steep of a headset so I got a longer fork and that made things more stable. I had to weld new brake mounts on the forks for my V brakes.

mike

I act like iam pedaling when i see the police ,hope they dont see me. i ride 15 miles to work 5 days a week. my stock 48cc sky hawk goes up hills just fine but only 150 lb load. top speed 35 these things are the stuff

Thanks guys-

I'm going to stick with my old MT bike for now. My brakes arent so good though. They chatter. If I cant fix it I'll buy new ones or steal them off my sons old mongoose BMX that was repalced last summer. My kit should be in this weekend... Wish me luck.

Rob- I like the idea of pretending like pedalling. I need some rear view mirrors so I can keep an eye out.

Thanks Again

Launce

Back