I am interested in Felt bicycles. Anyone else?

I can think of a few ways to get the sprocket to sit further out. You could use an extra ring of rubber in the clamp and you can put one of the steel clamps on the inside of the sprocket to get it to sit out further. the problem would be is there then clearance between the chain and the rear seat stay. I think it might work with a 44T but not a 48T or larger sprocket.

Hot rod I did not see anything special about your sprocket set up it looks like everybodys else's if you space it out to far then chain might hit the frame by the brake arm and also more important the chain will not be in alignment with the front sprocket there is a kid on craig's list who is trying to sell his brand new motor because he did not set his rear sprocket correctly and the chain came off and wedged into the front spocket and broke up the clutch casing and part of the lower motor housing , the motor is ruined :confused:

Here's a close up of the alignment, He has been running it like this for quite awhile now. The motor had to be offset about an inch to line up with the rear sprocket and the bolts used on the sprocket were replaced with bolts that had a lower profile head to clear the brake arm. I think that if the chain on the pedal side can clear the frame and tire I think that the same can be done on the opposite side, at least I hope it can or I will be selling a nice 1903!
Toby 004.jpg

Here's a close up of the alignment, He has been running it like this for quite awhile now. The motor had to be offset about an inch to line up with the rear sprocket and the bolts used on the sprocket were replaced with bolts that had a lower profile head to clear the brake arm. I think that if the chain on the pedal side can clear the frame and tire I think that the same can be done on the opposite side, at least I hope it can or I will be selling a nice 1903!
View attachment 10976

I'd forgotten about those wretched coaster brakes - how I loathe them! The cut away on the Taxi's rear fender looks like the chain will still slap it. I can get Felt 1903s with front V/brakes but I'd really like to see close up pictures of your 1903 Hot Rod. When you get the sprocket and chain lined up can you post the pics for me to look at?
I really would also like to see what the flange on the rear hub looks like cos I'm not sure that the bolt holes in a standard sprocket will clear it and I may need to redrill holes like I did on my Schwinn Nexus 7 hub. Then I'll need a special clamp with a different radius. these are the things I'd lreally like to know.

I am thinking about using a clamshell adaptor, I will send some progress pics as I go. It will be awhile as I will be going on vacation, so it won't be until I return.

Why not tell us what a clam shell adaptor is before you go off on hols. I urge you not to put a 2-stroke into your lovely Felt 1903 and to treat it to the pure Honda GXH50 it so richly deserves. That way you can rely on it as your main means of transport and it will last for years. It will also have a second hand value that a 2-stroke just doesn't have.
We could build one each together and if you need special parts I'd make them.

Hi Irish John, the clamshell adaptor is used instead of the sprocket adaptor that comes with the HT kits, it clamps around the hub instead of the spokes. here is a link to the site http://www.livefastmotors.com/accessories.html
As for the four stroke I'm still undecided, I like the reliability aspect but I'm not sure I can make it work with the 3" tire in the back. I have only seen it done with the smaller tire and a steel frame felt which has more vertical clearance than the alloy one I have. I also like the fact that you can pedal start the 2 stroke and that it looks more like a motorcycle motor. The age old dilema function or form / honda or harley. I lay awake at night just trying to decide.

Last edited:
I'd like to know which Felt Cruisers are steel. I believe the only one on this Forum with a 4-stroke and a banana seat is an alloy one and if som this means that they can fit a 4-stroke cos all the alloy ones have the same basic geometry for the frame triangle. Does anyone know anymore about this?

Hi Irish John, the clamshell adaptor is used instead of the sprocket adaptor that comes with the HT kits, it clamps around the hub instead of the spokes. here is a link to the site http://www.livefastmotors.com/accessories.html
As for the four stroke I'm still undecided, I like the reliability aspect but I'm not sure I can make it work with the 3" tire in the back. I have only seen it done with the smaller tire and a steel frame felt which has more vertical clearance than the alloy one I have. I also like the fact that you can pedal start the 2 stroke and that it looks more like a motorcycle motor. The age old dilema function or form / honda or harley. I lay awake at night just trying to decide.

HotRod, that is the best link I've ever seen posted since I joined MBc. These guys just might help rid me of cheap Chinese crud and reliance upon some kit suppliers who are so oily that they probably have a commercial value!!
Thankyou so much for that and I hope you enjoy a well earned holiday on a hot coral beach but watch out for clam shells - they have a habit of clamping on your hubs if you get too close!

Here's few few things I am using as inspiration for the bike I'm building.
The car is actually a 3 time world record holder and belongs to a friend of mine that is a member of our car club. I am taking a few cues from it to add to the bike.
Saltbike.jpg

fuller-racer.jpg

bellytank.jpg

Last edited:
Back