Engine Trouble Idling problems after taking engine apart

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by dotcom, Oct 8, 2015.

1. dotcom

dotcom Member

I did not take the carb apart but I did take the engine apart to switch gaskets and do some work and it was running better than ever just before that but when I put it back together, the idle was really high at times. and takes a few seconds to get back down and then sometimes stays really high or really low. It was also high even if I unscrewed the idle all the way and that screw sometimes did nothing. I make sure there is enough slack in the throttle cable and so that the slide gets to the bottom of where it needs to be and I even changed to a new throttle cable and made sure the slide is in the carb properly. I just cannot figure it out. I cleaned the carb bowl and air filter.. Any suggestions?

2. butre

butre Well-Known Member

sounds like pinched throttle cable. remove any zip ties securing it to the frame

3. dotcom

dotcom Member

I have already tried that and I even put a new cable

4. dotcom

dotcom Member

I just tried a different carb and same exact thing happens.

5. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

you have an air leak somewhere around the intake - find it, fix it, be happy

6. dotcom

dotcom Member

i ONLY NOTICED AN AIR LEAD AROUND THE HEAD GASKET BUT NOT NEAR THE INTAKE. I WILL CHECK IT OUT AGAIN THOUGH.

7. dotcom

dotcom Member

It was an air leak and It took putting a couple new gaskets and several hours and I stripped about 2 head bolts in the process. The 6mm head bolts I got from bgf have very little amout of threads being so short. Where can I purchase the hardened steel threaded rods so I can make my own sizes?

8. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

I get very good quality metric h/w from marshall's hardware locally - site at "marshallshardware.com"