legal lights

russ22k

Local time
1:07 PM
Hi everyone, I live in Oregon, and to legally ride my bike I had to license it as a Moped. To do so I had to come up with a light system that would pass DMV inspection. Anyway, to make a long story short I came up with an LED light system that works pretty good. It's all LED except for the high beam on the headlight which is halogen. My question is: Do you folks think there is a market for a light kit such as the one on my bike, (see photo album on my profile). My wife is poking me, saying I should try to sell them. What do you think? It's all 12 volt, with a NiMHi battery pack, which I charge once a week.
Am I out to lunch on this? The DMV liked it.
Russ

hi russ,

the simple answer is yes, but pricing is going to be your biggest obstacle.

i have a crazy setup on my bike as well, my indicators run on aa batteries, my front light is one i purchased a couple of years ago, 14.4 volts nimhi, and my brake light and horn run on 12 volt nimhi as well, too much charging ahh..

there was a guy in the buy/sell section recently who had made a set up running of on a 12 sla battery, he kept saying wow this is cool.... but never came up with the goods waiting for his patent while just stringing fellow members along.

So my advice before you try and sell make sure your setup streamlined, have a solid price, and put a feeler out their to see what interest there is, since many states do require a moped license i think you might be able to make a buck of two.

I think there's a market for people who don;t want to fabricate stuff themselves. In WA, we need the same light set up as a regular motorcycle, which includes turn signals and a brake-actuated brake light. To build my set-up, I've incorporated a bunch of bike-light LED lights, and a turn signal switch from the local motorcycle warehouse (Bent Bike in Lynnwood WA - a great place) and also old Harley-style brake light actuators from the same place. Each switch was about $6. To figure out the wiring and fabricate the wiring harness itself took me hours. My wife kept asking me "are you having fun?" to which I could truthfully say "yes but this is the kind of thing I like to dink around with. However, I'm glad it's done. All told, I bet I spent well over $70 on all the stuff - wire, insulated connectors, lights, switches, clear tubing as a housing to run the length of the bike, blah blah blah. Your target market is people with bunches of money who don't have fun fabricating stuff, but I'm wondering if there are many of these folks in the motored-bicycle crowd right now. Maybe when we go mainstream, and there are more factory-built MBs than kit-builds on the road, but then this stuff will be made in Indonesia for $0.07/hour...

Back