LoBoy Fat Tire Chopper

Been a while since I've posted. I've been busy building electric bikes for the past few years. This one will have a motor, so I decided to come to the place where bicycle motor heads hang out. :bowdown: I'm researching 4 strokes and I haven't came to a decision yet on the set up. I have plenty of room so it will be easy to adapt.

I took it on it's first roll and it is perfectly straight and smooth. I have a single sided rear axle set up to show off the insane rear tire. It's my first try at a single sided axle so I had to figure in a lot of math and calculations to get it perfectly balanced.

First Roll.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lctcd0rkW8g

Zero Steering Flop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alQKmadQsgc

comparetites.jpg

axle11.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/grauchosbikes/motored bike/axle11.jpg

user3358_pic8913_1301959930.jpg

frontfork3.jpg

rearB.jpg

side_profile4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Graucho,

I've been lurking on your various build threads for a while. You work at such a level of skill, I hardly know what to say. Your bikes are not just technically accomplished, they are also extraordinarily original art.

But I can say I'm so in love with your headlight idea, that I'm making a run out to the motorcycle salvage yard this weekend to see what I can find in the way of classic looking headlight cases.

Best,
Rick

Wow thanks roughrider. Very kind words for sure.

No more stabbing myself in the ..... well, you know.
I cut down the fork barbs down to the thickness of a valve stem. Then threaded them.
Then purchased billet valve stems that normally go on a tire. Then screwed them onto
the fork barbs. Adding those "ever so slight" accents of chrome.

pitch_2.jpg

pitch_1.jpg

Wow thanks roughrider. Very kind words for sure.

No more stabbing myself in the ..... well, you know.
I cut down the fork barbs down to the thickness of a valve stem. Then threaded them.
Then purchased billet valve stems that normally go on a tire. Then screwed them onto
the fork barbs. Adding those "ever so slight" accents of chrome.

Yer' welcome, man.

I wondered about those pokey things, but I figured it was a show bike, so something a touch deadly and outlaw-ish was fine. I see you haven't lost that effect while making it less a pain in the ... well, you know. :D

Last edited:
Here is a few fun projects to further this project.
The first project is my license plate. I changed my plates design a little from the past.
I made the graphic color "brown" to match the build instead of full color on all of my other builds.

Second... I took an old motorcycle headlight off the shelf and tore it down and made a 1400 lumen
flashlight-bike light conversion. This sucker is as bright as a car light.

License Plate
a01z.jpg

Orig Light
a02z.jpg

Light tore down with Cree P4 chip CR123A Flashlight
a03z.jpg

a04z.jpg

a05z.jpg

Paint time, and drilled out the old
wire entrance to allow finger on and off switch

a07z.jpg

Finished. Let the light scream
a06z.jpg

Lets find our way home
a08z.jpg

Gorgeous.

And the color? Subtle. Exquisite. How many cats even mix their own paint these days? This creation is not just a "cut above," it's, like, from a realm of its own. I wish I could do metal work like this.

Sorry. I'm probably saying such nice things it sounds a bit, uh, butt kissy? But really, how many guys do any of of us know who can do work like this? This guy has skills from another planet! Admit it! I for one know art when I see it, and I'm not ashamed to adore it.

(Sorry Graucho. If I'm too over the top, just say, "Aw, man, you're embarrassing yourself.")

Cheers,
Rick

Hey Graucho, when are you gonna quit messing around and finish this masterpiece? No, really, have you thought about the power plant yet? Maybe you covered that early in the thread. It looks like you've set it up for a Honda or HS. Great idea on the light. I did something similar but hooked the LED up to a lighting coil on the flywheel. Had to install a variable resistor because the thing was so bright it set things on fire! I can dial it up for short periods, but I keep it at battery brightness to keep the diode from frying. It looks like you have set up a jackshaft. Are you thinking gears to roll that huge tire? I've been off line customizing a vintage Sachs moped, but drop in to check on your progress.

Gorgeous. And the color? Subtle. Exquisite. How many cats even mix their own paint these days? This creation is not just a "cut above," it's, like, from a realm of its own. Cheers, Rick

Rick very kind words for sure. Don't even know what to say but thanks a ton! I don't think many here are interested in "theme bikes" but I post it to break up the monotony. Also it has a 1000watt motor so it qualifies to be here.:cry: On and off of the board you have been a good MB brother. Thanks!

Hey Graucho, when are you gonna quit messing around and finish this masterpiece? No, really, have you thought about the power plant yet?

Your not kidding Scootmeister. I have never had a bike on and off of the bench more times than this one. Built 3 bikes in between for benefit auctions. Also yes, here is a 1000watt 48v motor sandwiched in between the front wheel covers. I'm only going to pedal on the flats. Because of the weight (141lbs total) I'll only get about 15 miles from the batt's. Will be used mainly as a pit bike at the Brainerd Dragstrip.

1000watt.jpg

Also have been busy Coaching/Mentoring the High School Robotics Team. We have been to 1 competition last week which moved us up to the regional competition next week. This years competition is throwing frisbee's and climbing a tower with a 120 lb. robot. Needless to say I get about 2-4 hrs a week for this particular bicycle build.

rob_build.jpg

Example of what a robot see's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI5tGT-gQlw

Last edited:
Have you ever thought about teaching a course on bike building? I'll bet some of the robotics kids and folks from the community would sign up. Besides, who needs sleep when you're having so much fun.

I don't think many here are interested in "theme bikes" but I post it to break up the monotony.

I'm not a "theme bike" guy myself, either. I rather favor stripped down, bobber/café racer/street fighter, type bikes. What gets me with this one is the skill it takes to build it and the imagination to just go wild. There are plenty of "practical" bikes in this world. We could use some more whimsy. Looking forward to seeing a picture of a hot babe modeling with this bike!

I'm not a "theme bike" guy myself, either. I rather favor stripped down, bobber/café racer/street fighter, type bikes. What gets me with this one is the skill it takes to build it and the imagination to just go wild. There are plenty of "practical" bikes in this world. We could use some more whimsy. Looking forward to seeing a picture of a hot babe modeling with this bike!

Thanks roughrider! Ha! i'll have to make sure my ugly mug isn't sitting on it in any photo's.

The only thing to add is work on the kickstand. I wrapped the kickstand in old leather strapping. Then gave it a coat of paint and clear. Then I took an old spur that I had collected and cut it down for the end of the stand. It was old but only worth about 6.00 so I didn't feel bad about cutting it up. Only gave it clear coat, keeping the rusty look. Going to let it sit for a few days before bolting it on the bike.

aa2.jpg

aa3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Back