MAB's obsolete soon?????

From what I've read about this car, the inventor claims that the only input is water. Quote from an article about it:

The company said that a proprietary unit, a type of membrane electrode assembly (MEA), breaks water apart into hydrogen and oxygen using a chemical reaction, which provides fuel for a hydrogen fuel cell to run the car.

This is not a perpetual motion machine. It's using some sort of chemical process. My guess is that this membrane is a consumable part that needs periodic replacing.

How many people do you employ?

How many people feed their families on the paycheck you provide?

How many people sent their kids to college on savings from the job you gave them?

How many people paid off mortgages with the money earned from you?

Now ask the same questions about GM, US Steel, Motorola, Boeing, Sears, Microsoft.......

Corporations are nothing more than groups of people combining resources to do thing that none of them can do alone. Corporate executives sometimes engage in unethical behavior or excesses, but that is due to people- the corporation itself is ammoral. I own parts of corporations, so do most people. Anyone with any investments does. Those investments go up and down, but over the time I have invested, I am far in the plus column. That is positive.

A company is when groups of people combine resources to increase product. A corporation is a very different legal entity in which the corporation itself becomes a legal person to avoid liabilities by those who run it as well at it's stock holders.

They're created specifically to encourage limited liability, thus why you see "ltd" or Limited at the end of their titles.

Many other countries have salary caps on executives based on the amount they pay their employees. Germany, and thus BMW, has a similar concept in which executives can only be paid a certain amount more than the lowest paid staff. I believe the amount is 1000% more, or 11x. G

Moreover, people who aren't incorporated can still share resources freely to improve a company, and often do. In fact, they're a little bit more open because they don't have to justify transfers and explain explicitly how it will help the company sustain and/or make a profit. Legally, anyone in a corporation can be fired if a majority opinion can be sustained that the person involved will not contribute to sustaining the company or sharing a profit.

This is a good idea, however many executives have created golden parachutes within the company to deal with it. This prevents the corporation from having a valid threat against a bad CEO sometimes depending on the situation because buying off the CEO ala severance packages is more expensive for the moment than keeping them on.

Corporations are also particularly bad at long term investments in communities as they have the requirement to prove profit and usually investments can be made elsewhere for a greater profit.

And lets not forget that workers do earn their money. It is not a "gift" from the company, they genuinely produce materials and/or goods at a high rate and unlike many upper executives, they actually get fired when the company starts turning up. GM is a wonderful example of this at the moment, which the CEO taking a multimillion dollar bonus meanwhile they've closed some of their SUV plants instead of investing into turning them into commuter car/sedan plants. It's not uncommon for stocks to be down for quite some time while Executives continue to gain added bonuses. The Justification is that if they leave investors will lose confidence, however I'm not all that certain that I would personally want to invest in a company that fears losing investors over hiring effective management.

One of my favorite parts of American MAB manufacturers is that they still operate on a level where they have to respond correctly to market needs and they seem to be great people when it comes to getting help with their products.

Capitalism is a good system, but it needs to be monitored for corporate corruption. We need not forget the gilded age and the monopolies that formed or the importance of the pullman strikes.

From what I've read about this car, the inventor claims that the only input is water. Quote from an article about it:

This is not a perpetual motion machine. It's using some sort of chemical process. My guess is that this membrane is a consumable part that needs periodic replacing.

If you're breaking down a molecular structure (water) at a lower amount of energy than you're gaining burning the separate molecules, you've created a machine that is creating more energy than it has used.

If you're breaking down a molecular structure (water) at a lower amount of energy than you're gaining burning the separate molecules, you've created a machine that is creating more energy than it has used.

Not necessarily. Exothermic reactions occur all the time. A match is a good example. This car utilizes some sort of chemical reaction. A chemical reaction typically involves the breaking and creation of molecular bonds through the motions of electrons. If there is some sort of reagent or catalyst that causes this reaction, and this new membrane somehow captures those electrons as it claims to do, then I can see how it works. But to my knowledge there's no way to chemically break the hydrogen and oxygen bond in water... that's where my skepticism lies. Not with this nonsense about breaking the laws of physics.

Not necessarily. Exothermic reactions occur all the time. A match is a good example. This car utilizes some sort of chemical reaction. A chemical reaction typically involves the breaking and creation of molecular bonds through the motions of electrons. If there is some sort of reagent or catalyst that causes this reaction, and this new membrane somehow captures those electrons as it claims to do, then I can see how it works. But to my knowledge there's no way to chemically break the hydrogen and oxygen bond in water... that's where my skepticism lies. Not with this nonsense about breaking the laws of physics.

There is, it's called electrolysis, and the process of separating the bond involved will always be more energy than what is gained by burning it.

Gathering Hydrogen through electrolysis is really only useful for storing energy at a central station for storage when you have excess energy you would lose otherwise. Since the car has to have a battery capable of using the electrolysis machine, it's far more efficient to just hook it up to the motor anyways. The Department of Energy has a good page on the uses of Hyrdogen tech. http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/

There is, it's called electrolysis, and the process of separating the bond involved will always be more energy than what is gained by burning it.

Yes, I know what electrolysis is. What I'm saying is that I know of no way to chemically break the bond in water using either a reagent or catalyst alone, as it sounds like they're doing with this system. Upon looking at Genepax's website, I noticed that they said that the car is powered by water and heat. I know it's not a steam powered car though. So my question is, what role does the heat play?

no, scratch that... my question is how does it work?

There are lots of things in science that we have yet to understand. People laughed at Fleischman and Pons when they published their work on cold fusion. What we're finding today is that there might actually be something to it. There IS excess heat generated when palladium is loaded with enough deuterium through excitation. What we don't know is why it happens, and how to control it. Because of that, people almost pathologically refuse to believe it's possible, even though the experiment has been repeated dozens of times.

Accepting the claims of these "water cars" without proof then blaming the government, big, the Masons or Al Roker for their disappearance is no more forward thinking than rejecting them out of hand.

Both perspectives are in need of adjustment. Let's see what the evidence shows. Evidence is not a car tooling around- any number of things can account for a single car. If someone could actually make this work, the big auto makers would be killing each other to get exclusive rights and use it, not bury it. Look at the sales of hybrid cars which are only an incremental improvement over present technology. A true revolution would print money for whoever manufactured it.

However, science does advance, so the fact that something is revolutionary should not be a reason to reject it without investigation.

Here is a perspective on this car, for what it's worth.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/06/genepax-water-powered-car-japan-debunking.php

hydrides. of course.

*smacks forhead*

okay this car is probably bogus.

ETA: I'm actually a little mad at myself for not realizing this when I saw that they used heat in the system. Metal hydride matrixes have been looked at for years as potential storage systems for hydrogen fuel cell cars because of their ability to store more hydrogen than compressed gas. The big trick is releasing the hydrogen, which requires heat...

Last edited:
Back