motorized xtracycle

Very informative Mabman... Ill think on the MA vs the autodrive. I do use mostly 2 or 3 gears and if I could find the best gears for the engine and rear wheel this could work real well. I could chain drive the rear wheel on the left and with an adapter still use the disc on the rear, lots of room there..Might have to alter the bag attachments but no biggie. The simpleness of one cog on the peddle side does appeal to me, with the right gearing. 20 or so mph is all I would want anyway...

You are allowed 25 there and you will want to go there once you get in to it. But don't discount being able to go up to 30 because it is useful at times to deal with the flow of traffic.

I want to be clear about the drive I described because I am a bit confused by your post. The motor would drive the left side of your hub with a set of sprockets off a gear reduction on the motor that would either favor low or high speed. This is the main reason that people are going the gearing route because they are not interested in pedaling. Anyway I would suggest low in your instance. Your drivetrain would not have to change at all from your current setup as pictured as it would be used to help the motor get off the line and to assist it to the top speed and on hills.

As an aside, the biggest reason that people run stop signs on bikes is because starting from a dead stop is hard. This is causing lots of problems in urban areas. With your motor setup you will be happy to obey the law, even fully loaded, because getting going is easy and actually fun because you know how much effort it has been all these years. 150 mpg+/ gal is also nothing to sneeze at and imagine if even 1% of the population of Portland alone used this type of vehicle for their single person/purpose needs. Less overall energy use, less congestion, ah, one can only dream......or be part of the reality.

ahhhhhh....I think I understand now. I did some research and now know I need to reduce the output from the engine, IE the station gearbox, which looks perfect for this application. So my only real confusion is how to attach the drive cog to the left side of my rear hub.I could fab an adapter to use both brake rotor and rear cog. Would that work? And by the way, thanks for your patience. I have learned alot from this discussion Jeff

There is a ton of info on here on how to do that. A guy code named milegajo here has a hub that does exactly what you want, you may want to search his posts for it? Otherwise an adpater can be made for sure.

No worries as I like Portland alot and see much potential there for MAB's as there are alot of folks that can see the forest for the trees. It is important to all involved though that what gets popular there is a legal machine I feel so that it doesn't end up mired in BBS and get a bad rap that will slow down the movement.

BTW, my oldest son is going to be moving there perhaps by early this summer and I lived in Astoria for years.

Last edited:
I to feel we need to be responsible for what, and how we ride. Thanks again and feel free to contact me if you are in the area...

Back