My first build, looking to get ideas for my project.

I don't want this to seem like a thread hijacking, but because Jon (Sheik) and I are building the bikes together, I thought I'd go ahead and add to this thread. First I want to say this site is a great wealth of knowledge and we wouldn't have been able to get as far as we did without this place. Now, onto business. Jon's bike, which you can see in previous posts with the engine mounted, had a coaster brake and required some filing on the sprocket. My bike is a 3 speed with handbrakes and we thought I would have smooth sailing installing the sprocket. We were wrong. The hub of the rear drum is oddly shaped, like a truncated cone. When the sprocket is installed on the hub and the wheel assembly is placed back in the frame there is no room for the chain to move freely. Jon and I thought and stared for an hour or two until we decided to go ahead and assemble his bike. We have no idea what to do with my build. Do we need a new bike, new rear wheel, or what? I have included pics to show the dilemma. Thanks in advance.

http://home.insightbb.com/~tbeeghly/pic1.JPG

http://home.insightbb.com/~tbeeghly/pic2.JPG

http://home.insightbb.com/~tbeeghly/pic3.JPG

it looks like you need to enlarge the sprockets center (a dremel works a lot faster than a file)
even with the rubber gasket, it will be closer to the spokes
the sprocket should be touching the rubber only

could you post an intro...we've been waiting for you to finally stop by :):)

Hey Taylor, good to see you joined. Yeah, we'd have to enlarge that hole a whole lot, probably like a 1/4 inch or so. We have a rasp and a dremel, but we were burning up grinding bits like heck when we were dremeling. Can you recommend a good bit for chewing through the metal?

My coaster wheel hub cover is kind of rubbing a bit, but only sometimes. I'll just see if greasing it up helps.

Well, I think Taylor decided to get a local machine shop to widen the sprocket hole. If we had a bi-metal holesaw we'd do it ourselves, but unfortunately I left all my tools at home in PA.

Well guys. Today was the day.

We started around 5 and managed to get done around 11 at night. A lot of head scratching and frantic internet searching brought us to the pictures below.

I took it out for a test run, pedaled a bit and popped the clutch. The thing roared to life and I went flying. I realized that I need to play with the idle screw, because it was idling way too high. But I played around with the throttle to make sure everything was working dandy. Well, one important thing was fouled up, the killswitch. We must have incorrectly wired it.

But anyway, here she is. And she's much prettier in person. She's getting the grand treatment this weekend with some new tires, a brand new set of brakes, and a good wheel scrubdown.

Edit: Also, 2 other things that need to be addressed. Taylor and I had **** of a time trying to get the chain not to rub on the bars that hold the rear tire (not sure what they're called). We need to keep farting with the tensioner. It's really close though, so hopefully we can get it when we aren't so tired and giddy to ride it.

Attachments

• Done1-1.jpg
    Done1-1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 231
  • Done2-1.jpg
    Done2-1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Done3-1.jpg
    Done3-1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Done4.jpg
    Done4.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
everything looks great nice bike by the way, looks very comfortable and smooth, the only thing i suggest is flashing tail light and headlight, also a speedo to watch your speed from the cops. GREAT JOB

everything looks great nice bike by the way, looks very comfortable and smooth, the only thing i suggest is flashing tail light and headlight, also a speedo to watch your speed from the cops. GREAT JOB

Thanks for the kind words.

I'll be taking even more pictures when I have a chance to perfect it (and when I finish polishing it up). They'll hopefully be some good daytime pictures.

The rubber gasket between the frame mounts actually makes the ride super super smooth.

ooooooh, what a beauty,,,sleek and slim!:D
You might try flipping that tensioner around so that the roller is on the inside instead of the outside of the bracket. That might give you more ways to get the chain not to rub.
Very nice job of reading and searching! and the build shows it. :cool:

Papa

Good job. I do like that copper color. I'm with papa on the tensioner, flipping it around may give you more clearance. Moving it back toward the axel (lifting the chain higher sooner) will also help to get clearance on the chainstay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back