My Tadpole Project (update--overdue)

Discussion in 'Motorized Trikes' started by srdavo, Jan 20, 2009.

1. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I've been working on this for a few days now.....working, studying & planning. I finally have a little something to show.

first of all, I wanted to give it some ground clearance.....instead of 4", I have 12". I also made the frame 1 foot longer... to allow for engine mounting, behind the seat. (I haven't decided on a powerplant yet :confused:)

I am not yet pleased with my steering geometry, but for grins... I have it standing on it's own 3 wheels.
    Speaking of wheels....look at the spokes on these! I don't know what gauge they are, but they measure 1/8"!! The axles are a 5/8" bolts.

I was making good progress today, but ran out of welding wire! :shout: The welding supply store, down the street was already closed.

100_2567eeec.jpg C-clamps to the rescue!!

sidenote: I found metal cutting blades for my circular saw for <$3 apiece.
    here's a couple pics of my ghetto chopsaw. :idea:

100_2568.JPG 100_2572.JPG

100_2571.JPG Swinging on a door hinge.....sitting on an old BBQ grill. (not a lot goes to waste around here.)
    Works like a charm!!

2. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Been wanting to build a motorized tadpole ever since Alaskavan built his incredible machine, so I clicked on this post for some ideas to steal. :devilish: Found one......heck with the tadpole.....I'm building a cut off saw. :grin5:
  3. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Can't wait to see this!
  4. azbill

azbill Active Member

I second the vote...
    chop saw, here we come :)
    thanks Dave !
  5. Motormaker

Motormaker Member

I dig the saw. Less is more. Nice design. The trike is nice too!
  6. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

7. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Wow, van, that engine is exactly what I need. Do you know anything about manufacturer, quality, etc? It looks good, but then pics usually do. I need to get some tech specs on that unit - dimensions, etc.

It would (depending on dimensions) make a great rack mount power plant above the rear wheel of a recumbent tadpole - heck, put it up on a rack mount over the rear wheel of the full suspension tadpole I've drawn up, or to one side and behind an NV mid-drive unit using the secondary input sprocket Staton installs, and still have a flatbed cargo area only an inch and a half above the rear axle.
  8. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

It's exactly the same dimensions as the one I put on my trike. They weigh about 42 lbs., which is pretty heavy for most rack mounts. Not so much trouble on a trike. They are usually made by Lifan. I have about 4,000 miles on mine now, and have had very little trouble with it. Lots more power and rpm range than an HT.
  9. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Okay. Your sig is useful - I googled the engine, searched around and found rough dimensions, which are 17L x 10.25W x 8.25H. Since my current delta chopper truck design has an under bed clear space behind the running gear that is 14L x 20.5W x 10.5H, with the bed overhag in back extending another 11.25 inches, it's a perfect fit. For that matter, I could use a jackshaft and offset the NV mid-drive to the left of center, the engine to the right of center, and still go with a Shimano as a 3 speed "differential" 5th member.

That would put all the machinery weight forward of the rear axle and below axle height - that sucker might scrub and slip sideways in turns, but you'd have to work at it with 55 lbs of engine and power transmission system weight centered at 9 inches off the ground.
  10. thescooterguy

thescooterguy Member

i kinda got in this conversation late , but what size clutch does that motor have ? they never show that side in the pictures
  11. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

It has an internal CVT.

Sorry for getting off-topic here Dave. Hows the trike coming along?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2009
  12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

no problem Van.... I'm always looking for good ideas!!

does that cvt have a centrifugal clutch in there somewhere?
  13. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

I'm still mocking up different size rear wheels.... think I'll go with a 20" will make for a sturdier wheel.
  14. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

I think the way it works is that until it hits a certain rpm, the front pully doesn't close up enough to make the belt tight. Effectively the same as a clutch. That's my theory. I'm not gonna take it apart to see what's inside 'til it breaks.
  15. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

more mock up.....

2 hp Briggs.... on hand

Big Picture

eec.jpg 100_2584eec.jpg
    a couple for alignment

I still think I am going to stay with 20" wheels, all the way around.
  16. thescooterguy

thescooterguy Member

pedals? are you going to use them?
  17. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

18. thescooterguy

thescooterguy Member

ok thats it i gotta have one too . another project .... im gonna make mine taller so i can see over traffic , lol
  19. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

20. thescooterguy

thescooterguy Member

thats nice too. great wheels , and that looks like a recliner for the seat . i like how used all the bike frames come together , almost needs a great dane pulling it