Need a reliable, USA parts guy.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Todd Casey, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Todd Casey

Todd Casey Member

New to this and have read alot. Built my bike and it's running pretty good. Think the China throttle grips or cable isn't right. Carb seems to not be right either. Alot of back pop. Had to take exhaust cap off for it to run better. Looking to buy the right parts for this everyday runner. Main transportation.

2. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

it's not a matter of "parts".
    it's a matter of maintenance and modification.
    those "back pops" are from bad head/cylinder seal.

3. Todd Casey

Todd Casey Member

Ok so new head seal and torke. What mods do you suggest and dealer

4. jaguar

jaguar Well-Known Member

many of the stock heads are warped. get some thick glass and sandpaper.
    put the sandpaper on the glass and stand on two opposite corners of the sandpaper (or glue it to the glass).
    move the head on the sandpaper in a circular motion to make its surface truly flat.
    then buy high temp gasket material from the auto parts store and make your own gasket.
    I hate those crappy aluminum ones. not worth the powder to blow them to hell.

then when you get bored just click on my signature link for further ideas for improvement

5. crassius

crassius Well-Known Member

you can't mail-order adjustments and tune ups - find a repair guy in your area

I doubt there is anything wrong with grips&cable - replacing them probably won't help.

6. Todd Casey

Todd Casey Member

Seems like cable is to long. I can pull the metal part out of the holder on both ends. Seems like I'm not getting full throttle. Also I'm running a champion cj7y plug. What's the best plug to use?

7. crassius

there are two adjustments built into cable outer & top of carb seat that will shorten the inner (DO NOT use the part of the elbow piece that threads into the plastic mount as a third adjustment, because you'll crack the plastic if that isn't screwed in right to the locking nut)

I use the plug that comes with kit & have no problems.

8. zippinaround

zippinaround Active Member

some of the cables i've got are way too long i just use tie wraps (zip ties ,cable ties) whatever you want to call them to tension the cable , also some of the plastic inner that holds the cable in the handlebar had rough bits on it that would bind the cable , you have to take it out and file down the rough spots if this is the case.

the plug with the kit usually works fine but if it fails i replace with ngk b6hs .

9. Todd Casey

Todd Casey Member

Thanks guys. It wouldn't run at all with original plug. Also have to keep muffler end cap off to run good. Not sure what that has to do with anything

10. zippinaround

can you see through the pipe in the endcap? if not its probably jammed full of crud.

11. Todd Casey

Todd Casey Member

Ya it's perfectly clean. Had whole pipe off and can blow though it too.not really sure what's up. Also is there a way to make the bike take off without peddling

12. zippinaround

hmm very strange , to take off without pedalling rev your engine right up and leave/burn your clutch out slowly .

13. crassius

centrifugal clutch kit, but a lot of work and many folks don't like them

14. zippinaround

there is a flaw in the puller mechanism someone on this forum posted the solution (can't find it now) but the reason people dislike them was because they would break and much like an automatic car you can't bump start it so your stranded unless you wrap a cord around to pullstart.

15. Todd Casey

Todd Casey Member

So I'm thinking I bought the wrong set up. I think I should have gone bigger. Not looking for speed, just reliability

16. zippinaround

bigger what exactly? what you are experiencing is just one of the many problems you encounter along the way , when you figure it out you will receive your reward.

17. Todd Casey

Todd Casey Member

I'm trying but not really good with two strokes. Not alot to them, but don't really get it.

18. zippinaround

simple stuff! KISS keep it simple stupid , these engines are as basic as you can get really look up how stuff works etc. if you really have no clue. you won't learn by paying someone!!!

19. crassius

only about 12 moving parts - not much to go wrong, but can be tricky to get everything tuned at same time

20. Todd Casey

Todd Casey Member

Thinking I have a carb issue. Gonna replace it. Can't get a idle, no power at all. Maybe half throttle. Need to go faster than ten mph