Need help with upgrades?

daveet66

Local time
1:39 PM
My zeda 80 supposed to be here monday it's my 4th engine I only built 2 i gotta ask the pros what parts and what nuts and bolts should I replace? I wanna do it right this time and iam not gonna touch my bike if I been drinking I think that's my downfall haha

My zeda 80 supposed to be here monday it's my 4th engine I only built 2 i gotta ask the pros what parts and what nuts and bolts should I replace? I wanna do it right this time and iam not gonna touch my bike if I been drinking I think that's my downfall haha
Replace all the bolts with Allen head bolts, and lock tight them.

More specifically, just upgrade the hardware to grade 10.9 metric if you can.

I always recommend, at a minimum, to flush out the crank case with mineral spirits. Some folks used premix gas, but I prefer safer alternatives.

Pre-lube the bearings with a couple/few drops of 2 stroke oil. A small medicine dropper or syringe works good for this.

Make sure all the mating surfaces are level/flat.

Clean the cylinder jug thoroughly too and check for sharp edges at the ports and do a tiny bit of beveling. Check for casting flash stuck in the transfers as well.

Personally, I always tear down my engines, clean everything up, remove the outer seals from the crank bearings so the crank seals get oil to them, clean the snot out of everything, use my home brew mix of Vaseline and 2 stroke oil assembly lube on the bearings, and oil up the cylinder and rings during assembly. I also replace the metal shield bearings on the clutch side with rubber sealed versions as they are a bit better at keeping grit out. I also put a smear of anti-sieze on the bevel gear where it meets the crankshaft and the sprocket where.it meets the clutch shaft just as a precautionary measure.

That's me though. It's a bit of work, but my engines also tend to last a while.

A BIT of work???...lol...I got all worn out just reading about all that work you did...You sir, are a master of understatement...lol.

By the way, work fascinates me, I could watch it being performed for hours...lol...lol.
Full tear down, clean, and assembly with new bearings is only a couple hours of easy work with hand tools. I can take one of these motors apart in maybe 30 minutes with my impact driver.

With a blindfold on and.hanging upside down if that makes it sound cooler. 😉

Heck, I had my Phantom apart, trued and balanced the crank and had the bottom end back together in maybe 5 to 6 hours of total time.

Full tear down, clean, and assembly with new bearings is only a couple hours of easy work with hand tools. I can take one of these motors apart in maybe 30 minutes with my impact driver.

With a blindfold on and.hanging upside down if that makes it sound cooler. 😉

Heck, I had my Phantom apart, trued and balanced the crank and had the bottom end back together in maybe 5 to 6 hours of total time.
R.3ffdd3abf13927f11eb65340e09a275a

Back