Need To Pick Some Brains

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Fulltimer, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

My knees don't bend far enough to pedal a bike. Vietnam + machinegun = bad legs!:grin5: I thought a trike build would work but they seem to be pretty expensive. Two wheeled bikes I can get fairly cheaply. But where can I put my feet? Would stretching a bike frame be a possibility?

I guess the best thing to do would be for you guys to ask me questions because I really don't know what else to tell you.

Terry

2. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Airborne! Fulltimer!

Your best bet would be to place an ad on your local craigslist.org and look for a used trike. That's where I'd look.

When you check out the trike, have your kids or buddies pull you around in a parking lot. Tie a 12" stick or rod onto the bike's down tube frame, where your feet feel most comfortable resting on the stick.

That's where your footpegs will be bolted or welded on.

Good luck to you, Terry. Remembering you especially on the Fourth of July.

Myron(One of the luckier vets, by the grace of God)
    101st Airborne, RVN, 1967-68-69

3. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5028&highlight=strech+frame
    You might also check out Augis thread in the traveling section.
    You are lucky! some of the people posting are still active on here. Post your questions about streching there....it would be great to bring a thread that old back to life.
    Keep your eyes out for a trike though. I bought one for my wife from Target (She will not let me motorize it) It ran about $350.
    Thank you for your service!
    Another lucky Vet
    Daryl
    Operation Desert Storm

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  4. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

I don't know how handy you are but if You can weld ..You can make Your own conversion kit for around $ 60.00 not including wheels and tires. Here is a link to My website go halfway down the page to the Trike Conversion Kit link. It is a link to a tutorial on Making your own. http://www.thatbikeguy.com/infoplans.htm
    Good Luck & Cheers
    Chainmaker

5. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010
  6. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

Thanks for the reply's! I'll check out the 2 trikes for sure. I live in a 55+ community and there are some trikes in here I can do the stick thing on.

Terry (1st. Cavalry Division Airmobile / 1/8th Airborne)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  7. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

This morning I sat on my daughters bike to see if pegs could work on a standard framed 2 wheeler. No way. My toes are up in the spokes! It would be good for a few laughs:jester: but not too good for riding. I still have to check out the trikes. We are having rain all day today and tomorrow so I don't know when I can try them out. I'll keep everyone posted though.

Terry

8. panheadman

panheadman New Member

Fulltimer, you might want to check out some of the plans on Atomic Zombie Extreme Machines. They have plans for some pretty cool bikes and trikes on there--might be able to find something that will work for you.

Another lucky Nam vet--2 purple hearts, no major damage!
    Mike (117th Mobile Riverine Force)

9. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

I tried out a trike a little bit ago. Same problem as a 2 wheel bike. My guess is that I will have to add about 1 foot to the length of a trike or bike. The extra space will have to be between the seat and the front tire. I don't think that will be too hard to do.

Terry

10. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

the options are endless...you could stretch the bike, make or buy a post that sets the seat back further....many others. I will look and give you more options.

11. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

I know I keep jumping back and forth and I'm sorry about that. But I think it would be better to go with 2 wheels. I can pick up a beach cruiser either cheap or free. That way if things go south I won't be out much money. That and I can attach it to the back of my Jeep or the camper a lot easier than a trike.

Terry

12. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

That would be a good option. If later you want a trike there are many conversion kits available.

13. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

Hey Terry,

No worry about being undecided. No money or energy lost.

Myron

14. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

Found a bike

SHIMANO 26"--21 SPEED for $90.00: Is this a good candidate? There are some mountain bikes around here for sale too. The Shimano has a new chain and new sprockets.

Terry
    AFTER THOUGHT: Most of my riding, if not all, will be on pavement. What type of bike should I be looking for? I will be cutting and welding so I assume a steel frame is in order. Any particular brands to look for?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  15. Stan4d

Stan4d Banned

I hope I don't add to the indecisiveness, but have you thought about a recumbent bike?

16. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

I did, but I think I would rather be a little more visible to cars and trucks.:grin5: In order for me to get into town I have to go on a 4 lane highway. The speed limit is 45 but most don't obey the limit.

Terry

17. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

I second that motion. Lots of legroom and stability from a recumbent trike. When I get old(63 1/2 now), that'll be my mode of transportation.:jester:

18. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

We are the same age! Yea, for right now 2 wheels works just fine.

Terry

19. Luka

Luka Member

I had the same thought about a recumbent.

I am rural. And to get to town I have to cross a narrow bridge, on the highway, whichhas sharp curves both before and after.

Lots of accidents on that bridge, and that is with cars, trucks, large RVs, and semis...

What chance would a recumbent, down low to the ground, and hard to see... Have ?

If I ever decide to go with a trike, I'll probably go the homemade route, and keep the rear narrow enough to fit in the sidewalk area of that bridge.

20. Fulltimer

Fulltimer Member

I have some feelers out for a 26" steel bike frame to play around with. I will have to cut the down tube and the seat tube in order to get my feet on pegs attached to the down tube. That is going to screw up weight/force distribution of the frame. I think I will have to add some bracing in after adding length.

Terry