NEW BUYERS ! Would you buy one of these motors ??????

The happytime i got before it was stolen was ok. To put it in another way; after all the initial problems fixed the bicycle needed more maintenance than the engine (chronically flat rear tyre). In fact it was satisfactory enough I got another happytime kit build in progress.

With this said if someone offered a 80cc 4 stroke version of the happytime (with the same quality - or lack of) for not much more I would like to buy one. 4 strokes with their dedicated oiled crankcase means the bearing problems should be gone.

The present huasheng is just too overpriced (the happytimes are also overpriced for what they are; but its still half the outlay). You can get a western made lawnmower for the asking price of those kits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope that manufacturers, dealers, present owners, prospective buyers, etc, have read this thread & that the overall quality of the kits will improve !

Well, I can agree with a lot of what has been writen above, now my HT story.

Myself, yes I read and read before I bought a kit and now realise that if I bolted it in out of the box It would have lasted maybe a few days or a week before either a mounting stud broke or pulled out of the cases and probably wrecked it and if I was lucky would have demounted the chain and threw me off.

I was riding a 2000 buck mountain bike to work and decided I didn't really want to wreck it and a cheap brand new bike wouldn't be up to scratch, so bought a bike, that had good quality frame, wheels etc. under 50 bucks that needed work.

Those of you that have seen pics of my bike will notice that I changed every bolt, all the cover and main case bolts I changed to 316 stainless, the mounts I originally changed to grade 8, they where shorter than the original studs as i wanted to bring the motor further down.
Still after a couple of times taking the motor out the threads pulled out of the cases.

The reason for R&R was trying to reduce vibration, I tried rubber mounting, but that made it worse the best was just mounting it tight.

Then the running, it never ran right from the start, I had pulled the barrel before I fitted it because I read of fileings in the covers and casting flash in the ports, and, badly mated manifold and exhaust.
There was 1 peice of "flash" in the exhaust port that fell off when I touched it with a screw driver.
So the ports where "cleaned up" the head, top of barrel and barrel base on the cases I machined flat and made new barrel/head studs.
Removed the overly thick base gasket, (the piston was sitting about 3 mm down the cylinder) and machined off that ridge on the head.

It was countinually running rich, changed the plug and the lead, tried over and over to get the carb set, one time it hydrauliced, completley filled the engine with fuel, I pulled the bowl and could have my finger holding the needle up in the seat and fuel still passing, yes it was clean.

So I bought a jap carb and could not see how anyone on here could posibly have "ground out my manifold to perfectly match the inlet port" my port "unmodified" is about 1mm from the screw holes, without grinding "in to air" wasn't possible so made a new manifold (still not perfect fit).
Some tuning got it running pretty good, would almost do 60 km/h with the 44 tooth and was at last getting decent mileage, around 140 km a tank.

Then the CDI sh!t itself, no spark, got a new one, put it on and back to stage one, running sh!t again, so got a new mag, still running bad, so bought another CDI and MAG at the same time, still running bad, wet plug and carb seetings unchanged since I lost spark.
Changed the plug lead again, put a stainless wire one on, no differance, droped the needle, solderd the jet and redrilled, lmao made it to lean and broke the bottom ring and scored the bore, now its junk.

At the end of the day this thing has taken all my spare time just to keep it running and half reliable, Yes I have done 6800 km in six months, I know many have done lots of miles but I doubt many have done as many in such a short time.

With proventitive maintanence every single day, repacked all the bearings every 2 weeks with teflon grease, and still it "caned my bearings", 3 sets of wheel bearings, 2 sets of head stem bearings, 1 set BB bearings, then the 1 pair of 38 buck tyres, around (I lost count) 10 normal tubes, ( yeah I'm a dumb C U Next Tuesday, I learnt to fit thorn proofs and fill them with slime) 3 sets of lights (the vibration canes lighting kits) spark plugs, plug leads, cables, paint, chain lube, all them 316 stainless bolts, carb, air filter, automotive fuel hose, fuel filter, hose to mount the carb and air filter, 3 chain tensioners, 2 sets of front brake pads, the last set some d!ck at the bike shop told me "you need these ceramic blocks" cool, hand over 25 bucks, they where good for about a week and then they worse than the worn out ones, thats because they where for Ceramic rims, lol.

Anyway IMO yeah they are what you pay for, cheap and I guess nasty, I have ended up forking out nearlly as much as a brand new elec bike and my time can not even be added to equation.

I guess if you only want one to have a sunday ride and have and love the time for "tinkering and improving" they are "OK" (ok with a pinch of salt) other wise keep your bees and honey in your sky rocket and save for one of them nice 4 stroke kits (gebe, tanaka etc.) or buy a lecy bike.

I'm not disapointed as such, there is good things in the kit, the petrol tank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mmmm can't think of any more right now, but at the moment I now have my licence back and can ride my "real motor bike" again and drive my car when its raining, but this forum has given me a new interest, BOARD TRACKERS, I bought a 20 year old racer on the weekend with cotor pin cranks, reckon I can mount a Yamaha KT100 cart motor in there.

That's a shame, Phil. If you had tried to mount & run that motor, it would probably have blown. It wouldn't take that much more time && money to make the motor &&& kit [ cause many parts are JUNK ] right from the beginning. I hope it is OK & will give you good service, now.
Not being critical of you,,,,, but,,You get what you pay for !!

You just described (in great detail) the nightmare that I imagined with one of the Chinese kits. Wow....sounds like fun! I am expecting some "tweaking" with the Staton kit that I ordered, but NOTHING like what you describe. Whew!

Warner

(quote)
That's a shame, Phil. If you had tried to mount & run that motor, it would probably have blown. It wouldn't take that much more time && money to make the motor &&& kit [ cause many parts are JUNK ] right from the beginning. I hope it is OK & will give you good service, now.
Not being critical of you,,,,, but,,You get what you pay for !!

lol "It wouldn't take that much more time && money to make the motor &&& kit [ cause many parts are JUNK ] right from the beginning.

read again man. I have spent a lot of money and time in the BEGINING, yes you get what you pay for, I understand that completely, READ 6800 km or4500 miles in 6 months, and around 100 litres of juice (26 gallons) man cheap on fuel,
and KERF, no I am not a muppet, I didn't buy it because I'm stupid, I bought it because it was cheap, people will still keep buying these kits no mater what is wrote here, there is always gunna be none beleivers of what is on here, and people that don't even know this forum exits.

It seems that if the Japanese copied the HT design -- with their known quality -- then you would have something there... Cost I think would be around 500 to 800 hundred dollars... Wondering -- if any of the US dealers have asked the Japanese about this ? This could be for them -- a new market... I am thinking that ones ordering would want an engine just -- a little rough around the edges -- nice sounding pipe - cool looks - copy of old small cc Harley or Indian -- A guy down our road years back had a collection of those small old bikes -- NOW THOSE ARE VERY COOL -- if the Japanese came out with the whole bike -- close copies of -- I would love to buy one or two !!! Happy Riding from _ Mountainman

It seems that if the Japanese copied the HT design -- with their known quality -- then you would have something there... Cost I think would be around 500 to 800 hundred dollars... Wondering -- if any of the US dealers have asked the Japanese about this ? This could be for them -- a new market... I am thinking that ones ordering would want an engine just -- a little rough around the edges -- nice sounding pipe - cool looks - copy of old small cc Harley or Indian -- A guy down our road years back had a collection of those small old bikes -- NOW THOSE ARE VERY COOL -- if the Japanese came out with the whole bike -- close copies of -- I would love to buy one or two !!! Happy Riding from _ Mountainman

Wait a minute...and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the HT was a copy of an existing Honda engine? Doesn't the Japanese "copy" (or original as the case may be) already exist?

Warner

Back