New Guy First Post

Hey Tom, there are some good opinions already on the thread mentioned a few posts ago. If you go there and post a quick reply like "Thanks" or something, then you will get e-mail updates each time something new comes up. The consensus so far is 2 - hand brakes and 1 - coaster brakes. due to the front brake. I know you have not made any decisions yet, but keep this in mind. I have a sorta bike graveyard myself. 4 bikes that are ridden often and 2 mountain bikes that I have been using for parts. If you decide to go for the del mar but want to put hand brakes on the front, I have a pair I'll give you. I've been meaning to do some switching around myself....

Yep, I been there. Good advice and if I go with the coaster brake Iwill definitely put on front brakes. I am going to try sending a picture of my bike. The reason is because I am thinking that the clamp that holds the derailer for the front sproket may be in the way of the rear motor mount. Would like your take on this. Well forget the picture. I guess I need to reread how to send a picture. I can't even find where it ask for "attachments" Tom

Got my Dax kit thursday the 24th. Started assembly immediately. Ran into what I believe was normal problems. Motor mount. Needed to buy new studs as Duane says may be necessary and it was for my bike. Worked on it most of the day friday. Chain alignment and clutch were not any fun but got it worked out and rode that dude today the 27th. Did adjustments etc. and by about 6:00 pm today I think I have everything worked out and have ridden it around 4 or 5 miles. It is really fun but that little narrow seat is just not going to get it. I am walking wide legged about now. A new wide seat is going on quickly. I sure got a good course in clutch trouble shooting. It wouldn't release even when the lever was all the way pulled in on the engine. Got on this forum and found The site thread about clutches and lots of pictures. This is by Norman and is a great place to work out clutch problems. Did the Flower nut thing but no help. Took off the whole front pressure plate and found that the parts that comes through from the chain sprocket was stuck to the geared clutch part. This should be free to turn within the geared part. I put a 19mm socket on the large nut that holds the part that goes to the chain sproket and gave it a hard push trying to unscrew it. I then tapped on the end of the socket handle and the nut backed off slightly and everything then freed up. All went back together easy and I then set the flower nut and got all that problelm solved. Two days to build but in actual hours spent on it I am guessing around 10 to 12 hours. That not bad for a first timer I am thinking.

This is a test to see if I can upload a picture. It is a picture of my recently built bike.

Attachments

• IMAGE0168.JPG.jpg
    IMAGE0168.JPG.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 88
Hey, Good to hear from you. I didn't think anyone would read it or see the picture since it was so far down the thread. It took awhile to figure out the picture posting thing. I finally found some good info on that other web site for motorized bicycles that I could understand and posted by "Gubba" which I think may have originally come from this web site. Anyway I can do it now so when I start building the B&S engine onto the Girls Bike (still looking for a good used one) I will keep posting pictures as I build. That may be to ambitious but I will try. I am going to use a girls bike so I can get on it. I don't think I can hike my leg up and over that 2 1/2 hp B&S engine sitting on the back over the wheel. I am going to use a 20 inch bike rim for the drive rim. I believe I can do it without any trouble since I have read several post and seen a picture or two. This web site is great isn't it?? The only thing I am slightly confused on now is weather I will need a jackshaft or if I can run it straight from the centrifical clutch pulley of 2 inches or to a 10 tooth clutch and then to a jackshaft of ???? teeth and then from a jackshaft pulley to the 20 inch rim wiht a belt. I have some figures but I will ask that general question after I get the rim installed. I think I have the bugs worked out of my Dax bike in the picture. Its fun to ride but tires me out after 2 or 3 miles. Lots of vibration for a old guy like me. Tom

I used the Del Mar for my first build...good solid steel bike ..coaster brake if fine if you add a front pull brake ..very east on the del mar ..just pull off the front fender..you don't want that anyway..you can mount Planet bike composite/plastic fenders later if you want.. brake bolts to fender hole..only one gear not a problem..you definitely wont be pedaling it much at all

I looked at the Del Mar before I decided to use my mountain bike. Are you using a rack mounted engine over the back wheel with chain or belt or do you have one of the in frame mounted chinese engines? Tom

Back