new member having hard time

Up above, post#15, jaguar makes a CDI box that is a vast improvement over the stock setup. He also links to a very inexpensive coil to cover that part of a hot ignition system.

It was $51 shipped from Equador, $17 for a brand new coil. $68 for an ignition system for a bike...for me that was a pretty good deal. I've paid as much as $300 for ignition setups for my racecars so $68 didn't look so bad:cool:

i seen his but i dont really want to spend that much on a cdi or wait 2 weeks for it to be shipped from that far :poop: i do like his system though but was hoping to get something a bit cheaper and more immediate

I my searchs there is nothing and all I can say is two weeks is nothing, I plan YEARS ahead on some things. I may take me a while to gather parts but eventually I get everything and complete what I'm doing. Like right now I'm gathering the parts to build a sawmill:cool: And not a band saw or chain, a real spinning blade saw. If I hadn't gotten into these bikes it would be done by now but that doesn't matter, it will be going by Summer:D

i have no other form of transportation from my house to the store for food and ect police reports have to be filed against my dad and stuff and i kinda need some transportation quickly i plan many things in advance aswell, but when i bought this kit i think put on bike and go that simple, and now im seeing there is tons more to it and im trying to put it all together as fast as possible for the cheapest amount :cry:

hatmon, this may be a long shot but take your mag cover off and see if there is a key in the shaft for the mag rotor, my first engine did not have one in it, had to make one. However the engine ran but not very good also had a bad wrist pin bearing. It may be possible that the rotor has slipped on the shaft and could be retarding the timing enough to not let run. best I can think of at this point. keep picking at it you will get it..

everything under the mag cover looks fine :cry: going to buy a new carb and cdi on monday and hope that does the trick

Almost forgot the very basic approach, after trying to start your engine is the plug wet or dry? wet would indicate lack or fire, bad gas, bad plug or possibly too much fuel. Dry would indicate no fuel or lack of or not enough compression. Someone please correct me if I missed anything. Good luck and sorry about your dad, as the man said, that sucks.. Im wondering if you were to explain your hardship to your teacher if he would haul your bike for you, maybe even give you a ride to school. A really good teacher would do that I would think..

You're in a tough situation, my friend. You need some sense of dependability in your bike and your life.
See if you can find people in your area that are interested in motorized bicycles. Second set of eyes and ears help. Friends with a truck or van helps, or at least a car with bike rack.
Methinks that what you have might not be best for your needs. If you can get it running, sell it and build a better bike.
If you cannot get it running, sell it or set it aside for a future project, when you have more time, skills and experience.
What I would recommend is a GOOD QUALITY! mountain bike in good running condition. You should be able to find one on craigslist.org for about $100.
With road conditions in your area, I would recommend a Staton chain drive with 2.2hp Mitsubishi TLE43 engine. You will also need a wheel built with Staton HD hub, thread-on cassette and left-side 18-tooth freewheel sprocket.
IMO, that'll fit your needs better. In fact, I would recommend building TWO motorized bikes. When one is down for repairs or maintenance, bust out the spare bike.
What's your town and zip code?

i live in stratford new york 13470, the nearest town is dolgeville new york where my school is located and from my road where i live its a 17~ mile bike ride and its a pretty poor and low populated area, not many friends or giving people around here :/, the plug smells of gas when i take it out of the engine and usually theres a drop or 2 of gas on it, and i was planning on buying a new bike on craigslist as soon as i get the check from the money from selling my laptop on ebay (if anyone wants to buy a sweet top of the line gaming laptop heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260751076837&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT) take and get hopefully about 700$ from the laptop, pay 400$ for the mortgage thats overdue because my dad would not pay it, and then just take and buy a cdi plus carb for the motor off ebay, then transfer the motor and everything onto the new bike if it works, or buy a new motor for 90$ on ebay then buy a new bike for 80-130$ and possibly looking into airless tires for the new bike i buy cause of the potholes in my roads and stuff on airfreetires.com can probably get 2 tires for around 40$

im actually glad my dad is gone though, id be so much more mad at him if he came back (providing my mom would let him) than i am at him for leaving, been needing him out of my life for years and finally (i hope) got rid of him for good

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
now that im thinking about it heaven, i might just buy a whole new motor kit along with a new bike, swap out the cdi and then carb on my current motor, find out which one is the problem, or if its the motor itself, then buy an upgraded carb or cdi and use the upgrade on the new bike and the stock one from the second kit on the new bike i buy :eek: any idea if i should stick with the same kit for about 145$ (it was 130$ when i bought it, but now its 145$ **** prices are going up even on ebay :mad:) or should i get a new kit from somewhere else, i want to have a 66cc motor or better, i do not want a 50 cc or 48 cc should i buy the 145$ one from ebay or is there a different kit that would be better for not much more money?

Back