new to forum

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by tigatron, Jun 5, 2014.

1. tigatron

tigatron Member

Hello all.
    I have a Schwinn Typhoon cruiser with a 66cc no name motor kit and for the most part its great but... some stuff keeps ratteling loose (like the exhaust) and ive got lock washers on everything but its not enough. Is it safe to use locktight? If so what type?

The next issue i have is its too fast (yes i said too fast).
    The law here is top speed of 30mph with a +/- 5mph buffer.
    I got off with a verbal warning the other day as the cop couldnt beleave he clocked me doing 42mph (with a gps i have recorded 42.2-43mph max speed on flats)
    I currently have a stock 44T rear sprocket and am trying to figure out what size i should order to get closer to 35mph top speed (a boost in torque wouldnt heart either seeing as im a tad over 200lbs and takeoff and hills are a bit annoying.

2. professor

professor Active Member

Hi Tig, welcome to Motoredbikes!
    You might think about not going full throttle all the time.
    Your motor will last longer.
    Blue locktite is considered removable.

3. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

I'd like to know what size wheel that 44T sproket is attached to. I am running 700c wheels, with a 44T, and it wants to cruise at about 30mph. And my motor is running well at a pretty high RPM. I never go WOT.

=Timbone=

4. tigatron

tigatron Member

Thanks i'll look into blue locktight.

Ive been running this china girl for 2.5 years now and have had many wheel/tire combos i have been running a bontreger hank rear and forte city slick on front (those over cruiser tires was around ~7mph increase of top speed. This morning i swaped front tire to another hank and it slowed my top speed (topped out at 40mph) and has great handeling now.
    I ran 700c wheels for a bit but it felt unstable and was slower than with the cruiser tires.
    I rarely ever hit wot as ive never gotten this thing to tune out to the point that wot doesn't 4 stroke or some other weird stuff to where it slows down.

On a funny note my top speed is now 32mph and torque is great... the muffler flew off and left me riding half way to work and back home with only a head pipe. This thing is crazy loud now.
    Trying to find a decent performance & price exhaust to order when i get paid.
    Any ideas? Hoping to find something better than stock for $60 or less or I'll just get the muffler welded back on if its not to badly banged up (i went back and picked it up but didnt have time to inspect it yet).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  5. Timbone

Timbone Active Member

I added 2 1/2 feet of heater hose to the end of my muffler and topped it off with a small, round lawnmower muffler.The exhaust sounds much better and I got a significant performance boost.

6. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

That's a crude way to see how an expansion chamber works to increase performance, an actual real expansion chamber exhaust will blow your sock off.

[​IMG]

http://sickbikeparts.com has them for under $80.
    On a 66cc, cut the copper straight piece in half for the best tuning.

[​IMG]

7. tigatron

tigatron Member

8. butre

butre Well-Known Member

I've got the same one that bikeberry sells. It's ok but needs to be modified to seal well at the cylinder side. I've heard the one that Arrow has is really good.

9. tigatron

tigatron Member

A little moding is no big deal.
    The other one is supposed to be great but i dont like how it goes by the seat; if it could be installed upside down or something would be great.

10. butre

butre Well-Known Member

There's no reason it couldn't be installed upside down, but it would exit right into your face if you did.

11. tigatron

tigatron Member

Would have to cut/weld. I thinking the bikeberry one be easier

12. tigatron

tigatron Member

Oh heres a pic of my mb as it sets now (outside work)

[​IMG]

13. Big Red

Big Red Active Member

If you want MORE torque and less top end speed, Just play with bigger rear sprockets till you get where you want. I would try a 50 tooth first. If you look at dirt bikes they ALL have HUGE rear sprockets. THEY do this for the torque but it also reduces top speed.

14. tigatron

tigatron Member

Priority has changed ... right now i need to get exhaust then try to retune the motor; after that I'll go back to figuring out speed & torque.

15. KCvale

Ya, those up-swept X-chambers can and will burn your leg, especially when riding in shorts.

[​IMG]

I don't know where you can find them now, and they are difficult to fit, but banana pipes do offer some power increase.

[​IMG]

But you could also go with a poo-poo flexible pipe semi expansion chamber like I used on this low rider build.

[​IMG]

gasbike.net had them at the time for pretty cheap.
    The header is too constricted for my taste so we refit that end.
    It didn't really add much power boost but didn't take any power away, and the look the customer wanted.

So many options, so little funds hehehe ;-}

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  16. tigatron

tigatron Member

Thanks i was looking at the banana ones but say a lot of people say they dont clear the frame most of the time.
    The upswept one im going to pass on seems a bit too hot to me lol.
    I was looking at the poopoo style ones but after trying the 3/4" heater hose trick it seems my motor isnt liking the head tube being that long. In fact any more than about 6-8" longer and the only useable spot in my throttle was about 1/4 throttle; both more & less wouldnt run worth a darn.

17. KCvale

The http://SickBikeParts.com X-pipe comes in several pieces so you can 'plumb' it in many different ways, the trick is tuning the length for the sweet spot of power range you want boosted.

This is a shifter build example with SBP pipe in a wrap around down-swept configuration that didn't burn us, and tuned just for that Delorto carb making it a 50 MPH machine that could be rode at 8 MPH and climb 30% grades with ease.

[​IMG]

I love making animated .gif images like that ;-}

18. tigatron

tigatron Member

Thats a slick setup. I like the look of those but cant afford much right now... im thinking about pulling the "cat" out of my stock muffler and leave the baffles? Then have it welded back on (cost maybe $15 max to get welded back together) & most of the xchamber and poopoo setups are $30+ shipping (shipping quotes are $15+) and up.

Also just realized i forgot to mention im from nebraska; seen a couple other mb around the city but not many.

19. butre

butre Well-Known Member

There's no catalytic converter in these mufflers. You'll have to find another way to improve performance with the stock muffler, or you'll have to buy an aftermarket one.

20. tigatron

tigatron Member

Then what the heck is this? Its up between where the head pipe is welded on but above the baffling
    [​IMG]