new way of transportation

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by rolltide13, Mar 31, 2010.

1. rolltide13

rolltide13 New Member

hey there guys recently have been browsing around the forum figured it was time to register and show some face, im new to this new form of transportation and sounds a lot better than walking to class. im getting ready for my first build and was thinking of using a cheap walmart bike ie. the cranbrook, and was looking at purchasing a 66cc motor for it. i thought of painting it black with bed liner paint similar to the kind in truck beds and keeping a stealth black look to it, any thoughts are welcome.

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if bedliner paint will withstand the heat (up to 500 deg F). Use a heat resistant paint like engine enamel on the cylinder and head.
    Cheap walmart bikes work OK if you have a steel frame. Aluminum will sometimes form cracks from the vibration of a gas motor.
  3. rolltide13

rolltide13 New Member

Thank you, sorry about the confusion i meant to say the painting the frame with it to give it the rough look and ordering a factory painted engine
  4. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

I strongly based on the crash stories from this forum, that you remove the fenders, use loc-tite on everything, and use a dedicated rear hub instead of the fiber washers.

If you get the grubee factory BMX size chain, you might want to discard it as people are having a lot of problems with chain derailment. Keep in mind that bushing chains (roller chains) will last longer and have higher break strength.

I think Krylon flatte camoflauge military/hunting paint&primer is the best product for a low-buck paint job.
    I painted a car/jeep/chop job with Krylon hunting camo one year and the paint was VERY durable! I couldn't believe how easy it was (paint& primer together), and how much abuse it took. Its not cheap though but cheaper than the bedliner stuff.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  5. BAM

BAM Member

Ive had mine over a year now still running good 1200 miles think I payed 300.00 with engine kit it did blow intake gasket but made it home carefull of coaster brake good luck with yours