Tubes No More Flats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I'm a first time builder & have a Schwinn Majestic cruiser that I'll add a Dax friction kit & Super Titan to. My two highest priorities are safety & low maintenance. I've spent over a month reading all the MB forums & have learned so much, thanks!

Flats are a concern & I think this tire in a tire idea is brilliant. Does this make sense to do all this to each tire:

1) Fat Frank 26 x 2.35 white Kevlar tires.
2) Stops Flats tire liner.
3) Stock & new Schwinn 26 x 2.125 tires.
4) Kenda Downhill tubes 26 x 2.4-2.75
5) 4 oz. of Slime in each tube.

Would all of these things work together or is it safety overkill akin to wearing a belt & suspenders so my pants don't fall down? :D

I am right here in good ol Alby. Be more than happy to mow some goat heads over and show ya how its done. 2.5 mm wall thickness type tube [not a preslimed or a paper thin tube ether] no tire liners I use dirt cheap tires and about 8 ounces of Slime.

I use about 8 ounces of slime per tire myself. The goathead sticker manifestation is crazy here. I have no probs at all!!!! Smooth sailing:boat:

About once a year to mebbe a year and a half of every day riding I might replenish a tube with more product. I re harden a tire with more air ''tire pump'' about 4 times a year tops.

did you have a flt yet mikej?

i like to use a non nobby tire for the inner tire.the set up i had just happen to fit really nice.

ive moved on from the bikes till the gas skyrockets again.now im on a suzuki bandit 1200.

Hi Eastwoodo4 -

I just happened to be on line when notified you wrote. NO, have not had a flat in either tire since I assembled that tire-in-tire concept. No Slime stuff in either tire. Put a few hundred miles on them; they are hardly worn. Disassembled the bike two months ago and shortened it; it is a work in progress. May spend more time assembling the bike during the next few months. I checked my tires a week ago; they are still holding a fair amount of air.

Mike

I was a diehard friction drive addict.

My rear tire lifespan averaged 30 days.

I have had the most flat tires in this forum, averaging one every 5 weeks. Rear tire, of course.
On my 460-powered bike, the engine dug divots in the tire on every inch of the tire.

No matter how expensive the flat-treaded tire I bought, I knew it was just a matter of a few months at most, that the tread would wear out and need replacing.

I have tried the tire-within-a-tire several times, and I STILL had flats.

I swapped engine drives from friction to centerframe with shift kit. My Specialized Armadillo 26 x 1.95 tires lasted a year, and it STILL had excellent tread left. I removed these tires and installed them on my Staton rear drive bike.

The only reason I replaced those tires was to install larger 26 x 2.35 Big Apple tires.

I have had NO FLATS since I abandoned friction drive over a year ago.:whistle:

Last edited:
hey 5-7.
how were you getting flats with two tires?are the roads paved in glass over there?lol.

did your drive roller eat threw two tires?

Good question, eastwoodo4.

When the tire-within-tire went flat, I could NEVER figure out where the leak was. I don't think they were punctures, because I never found any nails, screws, etc.

I have bad eyes, so it was easier to simply change tubes.

When the rear tire picked up a nail or screw, the roller drove it thru the tire forcefully.

I am SERIOUSLY liking my chain drive. I haven't had a flat in 2 years. In 2 years, I'd prolly have 10 flat tires with my friction drive, and I'm not kidding!

Then again, I did a lot of riding on the bike path where the homeless addicts hang out and lived on. They used to break glass on the path ALL the time.:sick:

Got a flat yesterday, but it was NOT fault of the tire-in-a-tire concept!

The tire-in-a-tire wheels I assembled long ago was holding air at 40 psi and higher for months and hundreds of miles on end. Yesterday, the rear (of course) went flat. Analysis: defective tube. There were no "snake bites", no tears where the inner tire butted ends. No nails, rock cuts, thorns, glass, other punctures of any kind in either the outer tire nor inner tire. Instead, a microscopic hole at the seam of the tube outermost surface opened up. It was nowhere close to stem nor butted ends.

Here, Slime may have worked. This case can be a good argument to use that stuff.

I cut out the stem of the old inner tube and installed the remaining tube as a liner in the inner tire. A new Bell tube is riding on the inside of all that. Maybe someday: No more flats!

MikeJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back